Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My maverick 2002 XLT 3l auto v6 needs a new EGR valve so the local Ford garage tells me, and costing £240 to buy a new one and fit.

I'd like to find a replacement part for this (even in USA and get a friend to send it over) since they seem to be MUCH CHEAPER. does anyone know anything about this?

The Ford garage are quite cagey about it all and would only give me the following information (since they are not allowed to buy the parts in from elsewhere of course)

EGR valve YL8E-9D475-E2D
Finis number 4767610

Now then, i contacted an american company who were very helpful and said that the part number ending in E2D is just the revision number, and that other slightly earlier parts would also fit fine.

e.g. this one here that is in the photo ends in E2C and is just an earlier revision of the same part.

Does this sound OK to everyone? just that sending it back to the USA would take a while and might not be worth it if it is incorrectly purchased!!!

The people at (in this case) rockauto seem genuine enough and knowledgeable but i wanted to check with you guys first!

Any help on a lower cost alternative here would be very much appreciated!
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
26,464 Posts
Is the engine fitted to anything else that you know of? Is it a Duratec derivative?

·
Premium Member
26,464 Posts
Looking at wikipedia, it's a Duratec 30, which is the same family of engines as fitted to the Mondeo ST220. Take a look on Ford Etis and let us know what comes up. Your vehicle though is pretty damn rare in the UK, which won't help with prices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Nick

as it happens i ordered that EGR valve from the USA the other day and according to them it should fit (!) let's hope it does!!!

i'll find my VIN number and put it into that site you mentioned earlier and see what it comes up with and report back here

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here you go, it says

Primary Features
Build Date: 17.04.2002
Vehicle Line: Maverick 2001-
Cab Style: 5 Door
Series: XLT Series
Engine: 3.0 V6 24V DOHC EFI Modular
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic - CD4E
Drive: RHD 4WD (PTD)
Territory: (+)"GB"
Paint: Champagne Silver
Interior Fabric: Nudo B-L

·
Premium Member
26,464 Posts
Actually, I've just realised that the Duratec 3.0 here in the UK doesn't have an EGR fitted

Which basically means you'll either to have pay Ford's UK retail prices, or purchase from America, which is what you've now done. Hopefully it'll fit, let us know how you get on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL! ok, yes it's on it's way so let's keep those fingers crossed!!

i heard that the EGR valve problem isn't always the EGR valve, but the DPFE sensor instead. Ford often replace the EGR valve for 250 quid then you go back to them to investigate further and they say you need a DPFE sensor too, for a mere 120 quid or so. So for 2 visits and labour etc and parts it would come to around 400 quid or so.

SO....whilst i was on that american site i ordered a DPFE sensor for 20 quid
so i paid 100 quid (plus delivery!) for both of these parts; Ford say that they should fit them for about 50 quid labour. if it all works out (PRAY) then i'm looking at a 160 quid bill instead!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DPFE sensor arrived today! waiting on the EGR valve now, which is in Stansted according to the FedEx delivery tracker! ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parts here, and fitted to car for £100. Total cost of job £200. !!!!!
yeeeehaw!

Ford would have charged me like £500 quid or so with VAT and fitting!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newcomer here. 3.0l v6 in Maverick. My egr valve has blown a hole in the casting. I am thinking of blanking the complete EGR off. Is that ok? Fords want £306 for a new one. Plus fitting. I also live in Powys. Ranorshire. I thought I had the only 3.0l Maverick in Mid wales. I also have a 2.0l Maverick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts