Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
Its not a full guide, more of background, tips, hints and problems specific to fitting to a mondeo

MegaSquirt was originally created as an Electronic Fuel Injection Computer by Bowling & Grippo. Over time the computer has been upgraded with MS1 extra and MS2. MS2 uses a totally new processor which is mounted on what is known as a daughter card. It’s basically just another PCB which has stuff specific to the new processor, as well as the new processor itself. MS2 added extra features like ignition control, higher fuelling resolution, lager fuelling tables, and MAF support. MS1 extra uses the original processor but it has updated code that allow many MS2 features, plus extra features like sequential shift lights, launch control, radiator fan control, NOS controller, water injection controller, and loads more. You just need to add new circuits to run them.

The MegaSquirt ECU was a fun project. It took me around 2 weeks to build. Although that wasn’t me at it full time. That was just a few hours at a time. You can find the actual building guide at http://www.megasquirt.info/

I started off by researching (As some of you know I like to do loads of) I asked a few people questions about it too. The MegaSquirt forums can be found at http://www.msefi.com and the MegaSquirt Extra forums can be found at http://www.msextra.com. The MS1/Extra manual can be found at http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Manual_Index.htm. It shows the different circuits that can be added to make your MegaSquirt setup special (the extra features) right at the bottom of eth first page.

I decided to go for an MS1 extra with board version 3.0 setup using ford EDIS 4 to control ignition. For this you will need to order either a ready made board that’s configured for EDIS, or the more fun (and cheaper) way is to buy it in kit form. I opted for MS1 to take advantage or the extra features, and as the version 3.0 board has everything the v2.2 board has plus more I went with that. The kit includes all the electronic components that you will need for the project (except any extra features you decide you want to add) Although, I did have 1 problem and had to order new parts. I upgraded the insulators used for the TIP125 transistors in step 69.c) I would suggest that you do to. And if you’re planning on adding extra features then you can buy them all at the same time from Maplin. I bought these ones from http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=11889&criteria=tip%20insulator&doy=3m1

I bought my kit from Bill Shurvinton. Bill can be emailed at [email protected] While you’re at it, buy a MegaStim kit, which is needed for testing the MS as you build and also to allow you to play with it before you fit it to the car. If you plan on using EDIS for ignition, then you should ask bill if he has any EDIS modules in stock. You will need EDIS 4 for a 4 potter, or EDIS 6 for a V6. I would recommend that you also buy an LC-1 wideband lambda controller if you can afford it. It will make tuning much easier and quicker.

The costs are:
V3.0 kit - £165
MegaStim - £35
LC-1 - £130
AFR Meter - £45
EDIS 4 - ~£15 (not totally sure though)

Oh and you will need a laptop and serial cable. If you don’t have a serial port then you will need a USB to serial adapter. Apparently some adapters don’t work. I bought myself a Belkin one, and it works without any problems.

Ill give a quick overview of the building process. You start by building the MegaStim. It’s straight forward and all you need to do is fit the components in the correct places. It doesn’t matter about the order. You then make sure the MegaSquirt board will fit into the case. And file the edges down if it doesn’t.

When building the MegaSquirt, you will test it after each stage with the MegaStim. All the instructions are in the Assembly guide, so that’s straight forward. First you construct the power supply, then the Serial Communications circuit. These are kind of boring parts to be honest as nothing much happens when you test them. You then build the Clock Circuit. This is probably the first point where you start to feel as if what you are building is taking shape. You will fire up MegaTune at this stage. This is the tuning software that you will use for tuning your car. It still doesn’t do much at this stage, but at least you can see that the ECU can talk to the computer

The input and output sections (2 separate stages) I found a little confusing. This is the point where you need to start making decisions about which circuits to use. You do get options, and a little help. The other problem with these sections is that the circuits now need to start being modified from the instructions. Because I used EDIS for ignition I had to look up the various mods in the extra manual. This part also clears up which input and output circuits to use. Before I started I noted at which stages modifications had to be made. That way once I got to that stage I could look at the extra manual and make the changes before I implemented them as per assembly guide and had to de-solder parts.

If you plan to use ms1/extra with EDIS then don’t click on the EDIS link in step 50 as it will just confuse the hell out of you. Instead use the MS extra manual. I’m not actually sure if the VR circuit needs to be built. I don’t think it does, but it won’t hurt to add it in anyway. Ignore step 52 which wants you to select input and output circuits. Again the extra manual tells you how to connect this section up. It’s different to any of the step 52 options.

For the extra features I cut a bread board down to the right size to fit the case. There is a small area labelled proto area that can also be used on the MS board, but it’s a little small for adding loads of features. Anyway, I built the circuits so that it sits upside down in the MegaSquirt case. They were all connected to the main board via wires, and then I used an extra connector that I installed into the side of the case to connect the outputs from the extra features to the outside of the case.

You will need to add fan outputs at the very least. I’m not sure if its just the mondeos with air con or if there are other models with a 2 speed fan, but if you do then you will need 2 fan outputs. If you have 1 fan speed then its fairly simple. The high speed (or single speed) fan uses a high output to switch on. So you can use the fan control output for this. If you have a lower speed setting, then you will need to invert the output. The low speed fan comes on when there is no voltage to the relay. If a voltage is applied then it goes off. The other option is to have the output come on below a certain coolant temp, which is easier.

When it comes to the engine looms then you have a few options. You can make a whole new engine loom as I did, you can fit the MegaSquirt into an EEC IV or V case like Avinitlarge, Buy an EEC IV or V adapter board, and/or use the relay board.

If you are going to build your own loom then I suggest that you get spare connectors so that you can just unplug the old ones and can be reconnected if need be. You might wish you had when you next need the car and MegaSquirt isn’t fully setup. Although its can be done quite quickly. Just give yourself a weekend to fit and tune it. Oh and don’t do it during mid November (when it pouring every day) like me if you don’t have a garage to work in. I ran the cables from the MegaSquirt though the bulkhead and to another connector. This meant that I could make the engine loom indoors and just plug it all in when I had finished. I had to splice 4 wires into the fuse box. The power feed from the ignition relay to power MegaSquirt. 2 wires to the fan relays and one to the fuel pump. Make sure you shield the crank sensor cables by wrapping an earth wire round the outside of the wires. Try not to leave any gaps. It took me about 2 hours to wrap the whole thing.

EEC IV adapter boards can be bought from http://www.megaefi.com/. You should soon be able to buy an EEC V adapter from here too. I’ve never used, built or read right through the site, so I can’t say much about it. Although I can say that I wish I had bought one of these at only $25 shipped it’s worth the money. As far as I’m aware, you build the MegaSquirt, then the adapter board and fit it all into the EEC IV casing. This allows you to use the standard loom and also allows you to switch between the standard ECU and the MS ECU without any hassle. I believe you have to set different jumpers as there are many different setups for EEC IV. It can run various engines from I4 engines to V6 and V8s. Id would advise you to read up on it a bit, and possibly post up your findings on this thread if you go down this route.

The relay board is basically just a junction box for all the wiring to go into. Its supposed to prevent damage to the ECU in the event that you wire it up wrong. Details for building and wiring up the relay board are on the MegaSquirt assembly guide pages.

I don’t know what’s involved in fitting MegaSquirt into a standard ECU case, but hopefully Avinitlarge will be able to write a short piece on how he went about it.

Iv not had eno9ugh time to write up a section on seting up and tuning, but that will come soon. Any quiestions, feel free to ask

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
sparker said:
The MegaSquirt ECU was a fun project. It took me around 2 weeks to build. Although that wasn’t me at it full time. That was just a few hours at a time. You can find the actual building guide at http://www.megasquirt.info/

I don’t know what’s involved in fitting MegaSquirt into a standard ECU case, but hopefully Avinitlarge will be able to write a short piece on how he went about it.
Only took me 2 hours to build :nahnah:

Anyway....

I didnt want to mess about making a new loom, I was going to build my megasquirt into the Std ECU case but decided against it, Instead I stripped a std ECU, Removed the ECC-IV multi plug from the PCB and started work on a new PCB. I used express PCB to design the board, Its a free downloadable program. I made the new PCB the same size as the Std ford PCB so it fitted straight into the ECU case

I made myself a patch lead from the ECU adaptor to the megasquirt and mounted the megasquirt under the heater

I also mounted serial ports on the panal that covers the heater box to make life also easier

Ive also added shift lights and water injection, The megasquirt is setup for water injection and the water injection pump is fitted but im not going to finish it off until the warmer weather starts to come.

And a little AVI clip of the shift lights

http://mondeoturbo.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/S4010096.AVI

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have absolutely no form of technical electrical knowledge compared to you guys so i look at what you put, understand the bits and bobs of it, and then the rest goes way over my head.
Is megasquirt like the superchip? if so can i pay one of you to build me one? if its not then is it a stand alone ecu? if so i can pay one of you to build me one?? HELP!!!

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Paul. I thought you had actually fitted MS into the old case. Oh well.

It didnt actually take me 2 weeks to build the whole ECU. That time i suppose was spent building my throttle bodies too. Probably took me nearer 10 hours all together to build the MS and test it (plus some replacing of transistors taht i fried. lol)

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry i didnt notice your reply earlier. Megasquirt is not like a superchip, its a standalone ECU like Webber Alpha or Omex. It replaces the standard ECU altogether.

I would be interested in building you a kit. However are you willing to make the wiring looms and fit it all yourself? I could set it up to work with your car, but you would also need to map it, or take it to a tuner that will map it for you. Tuning yourself is not as hard as it would seem either. I will be doing a write up on tuning. Theres plenty of support on the megasquirt forums with any problems that you have. PT me if your still interested

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
the wiring loom has all the connectors on it for the engine sensors. This then plugs into the ECU at teh other end. It sounds like you are just learning car stuff. Now im not saying dont do this project, but spend some time researching it. See if you are confident enough to fit it into the car yourself. Even if your not keen on building the MegaSquirt ECU, getting one premade is no bother. Just be sure that you feel up to the challenge. Its a lot of money to spend if you cant do it. Its not hard when you have an idea what your doing. Iv never attempted anything like this before, but knew i could do it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
with the mechanical side of things im pretty much alright, its the major electricals like this i havent a clue, installing a radio amp speakers is pretty easy for me, but when it comes to ecu, i get scared :sad:

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Another thing, Setting the timing.

This is probably one of the hardest things to set, You have to start of retarded and advance the timing slowly to avoid det, You can listen for det but thats not a good way as det can occur without you hearing it. You need to monitor for det using det cans, Det alarm, Knock link or some other device. You advance the timing until you get det the back it off a couple of degrees.

·
Megger
55 Posts
Now I seem to have found the Megasquirters on the forum could any of you give me the figures for the temperature sender resistances (water and air the same?)so I can order mine?
Thanks
John.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I fonud mine on the MS site John, have alok through the sensors or assembley sections and you should be able to find some. Your using ford sendors right?

I'll try and dig mine out, although I seem to think the air temp ones are quoted in the haynes manual if anyone has one to hand, that should do for water and air

·
Megger
55 Posts
Thanks all,found them in the haynes bible at the front of Fuel and Exhaust......back to the project,yes EFI'ing my lotus based on mondeo sensors....

John.

·
Registered
651 Posts
i have a few questions first one being is what colour is the ignition supply to the ecu?

secondly is what colour is the battery wire to the ecu,for power.

·
Big Megger
189 Posts
hi im building a zetec turbo and have been chattin with percy about the si he's got...did i read right that the guy who built that car first is on this thread? because if he is i have lots of questions................:D cheers guys

·
Administrator
7,576 Posts
fezzy_04 said:
hi im building a zetec turbo and have been chattin with percy about the si he's got...did i read right that the guy who built that car first is on this thread? because if he is i have lots of questions................:D cheers guys
Avinitlarge is responsible for the original build. Not sure how often he is online though..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.