Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Big Megger
3,065 Posts
I have been including my son on my car insurance but since he has his own car insurance policy is there any benefit in this. My reason was based (on advice) on the asumption that he would be comprehensively covered in the event of an accident and not just TPF&T. Is there any merit in continuing to include my son on my policy?

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,458 Posts
Yes, the benefit you have is that as a named driver on your policy he is covered as you say, comprehensive insurance.

If you take him off, his own comprehensive insurance, at very best, will only cover him to drive your car, with your permission, TPF&T (people need to check that their own Comp Ins actually states they can drive another car @TPF&T with the owners permission, and that owners car must also be insured by that owner).

You also usually find when applying for ins it actually asks if you have access/use of another veh, and of course should any circumstances change one should also notify ins company.

Then there is of course, at what cost

·
Big Megger
3,044 Posts
I have been including my son on my car insurance but since he has his own car insurance policy is there any benefit in this. My reason was based (on advice) on the asumption that he would be comprehensively covered in the event of an accident and not just TPF&T. Is there any merit in continuing to include my son on my policy?
Mike,

the first thing to consider is whether he uses your vehicle at all ( some policies have cheaper quotes for more drivers).

How much does it cost to put him on there

Does his insurance allow him to drive other vehicles, some won't. If it does cover him to drive yours again some policies only cover the damaged vehicle and your left with a damaged one.

It's a hard one to answer really with too many variables, but i have always had my girls on the wife's policy and visa versa so it's all fully comp and peace of mind.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Just a quick point about "Owner's permission".

If your car is subject to a finance agreement when the final payment is the moment you become the "owner" I.e HP and PCP plans. You cannot give permission to someone to drive the vehicle using their Insurance.So they are best added to your Policy.

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Sometimes adding an additional driver reduces the premium. Just remember that

you need to update your insurance if they make claims or get any points.

Just reminded me, mum needs to notify her insurer that my sis had an accident.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hi

Premium on my cars has always dropped slightly by adding wife to the policy.

Peter

·
Clever Clauggs
4,364 Posts
Wife and i are on each others insurance, she drives home after a night out and i

drive her car while mine is being fixed up,so hopefully cheaper for us both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts