Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Little Megger
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eyesup: Hi i have just been reading on another forum about Millers Diesel Plus for diesels to help lubricate the fuel pump.Is it any good should i use it,will it help my engine?I had a quick look around did see any comments about fuel additives.
Chris L

·
Big Megger
263 Posts
I use it. According to a Ford mechanic it is good stuff but if you are using good diesel it's not necessary, but won't do any harm.

·
Big Megger
208 Posts
I've used it in all my previous diesel cars. My 02 TDCi was definitely smoother, quieter when cold and a couple of mpg better when I used it. On the ST it doesn't seem to make much difference.

It certainly won't do any harm, and keeping those expensive common rail parts well lubricated is a wise move.

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
i use it too with good results and less smoke

·
ianp45
92 Posts
hi,i have used it too for a number of years on every mondeo td i have owned ,car seems to run better or is it just my imagination,who knows?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
quinny100 said:
I've used it in all my previous diesel cars. My 02 TDCi was definitely smoother, quieter when cold and a couple of mpg better when I used it. On the ST it doesn't seem to make much difference.

It certainly won't do any harm, and keeping those expensive common rail parts well lubricated is a wise move.
the tdci's are quiet anyway............ i was told my TDDI would be noisy on cold start, thats an exageration in my opinion it is a bit noisyer than normal running but its still quieter than my old TD was at normal running temperature.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
WilliamLX said:
The hand book says NEVER to use FUEL ADDITIVES as they may cause damage and will invalidate your warranty.
It also says at any sign of a fault take the car straight away to a Ford dealer. How many people take notice of that?

Additives are fine as long as they are suitable for that type of car (Diesels with Turbo and Cat) and used in line with the recommendations of the additives manufacturer.

Technically fuel such as Shell Diesel Extra has additives in it to clean the engine and there are no problems using this.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
DavePage said:
WilliamLX said:
The hand book says NEVER to use FUEL ADDITIVES as they may cause damage and will invalidate your warranty.
It also says at any sign of a fault take the car straight away to a Ford dealer. How many people take notice of that?
good point dave and the answer is not all people which is what this forum is about people getting their faults fixed and dont pay dealer prices.

my answer to that manual is if the manual told you to jump in a fire or drive off a cliff would you do it? ill take that as a NO because i dont think anyone on here is stupid enough to do either so it just goes to show that manuals arent always right theres also the likes of haynes theyre not always right either.

·
Banned
716 Posts
totalguy said:
DavePage said:
WilliamLX said:
good point dave and the answer is not all people which is what this forum is about people getting their faults fixed and dont pay dealer prices.

my answer to that manual is if the manual told you to jump in a fire or drive off a cliff would you do it? ill take that as a NO because i dont think anyone on here is stupid enough to do either so it just goes to show that manuals arent always right theres also the likes of haynes theyre not always right either.
Not saying the manual is always right, just pointing this out. It does mean that if your car is under warranty and you use this stuff, it could mean they will not honour the warranty even if the fault is nothing to do with the additive. In anay case I am highly sceptical about any additive or premium fuel making a blind button of difference............

·
Registered
50 Posts
My mondy was blowing a little black smoke under power, i started using millers and after about 3 or 4 tanks of fuel with the millers treatment the black smoke has gone,i'm also pretty sure the car feels a little more eager. I think it's also a good idea to use it if you have a habit of using supermarket deisel.
Jim.

·
Banned
716 Posts
firejim5 said:
My mondy was blowing a little black smoke under power, i started using millers and after about 3 or 4 tanks of fuel with the millers treatment i'm pretty sure the car feels a little more eager.
Jim.
I am pretty sure that people who think they can feel a difference with our their car runs with additives or premium fuels are actually just experiencing a wishful thinking placebo effect. If these things really worked the manufacturers would be telling us to use them in their cars, not telling us not to.

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
i have used millers since november last year in my mk2.

I havent seen a difference in performance yet i dont race my car so im not looking for it. I havent noticed less smoke, its still white, i havent really noticed a difference in fuel economy but then i wasnt recording MPG when first using it.

I did use supermarket diesel and i know that BP supply my local sainsbury but for 2p a litre more i go up the road to my BP and buy from there now. I also get a few more nectar points whilst im at it aswell lol.

I still use millers with bp fuel for good measure.

jcth1

·
Registered
50 Posts
You may well be right about the car not being any faster/better/more powerfull using additives such as millers but, you can't ignore the smoke problem becoming almost non existant- i haven't done anything else to the car to explain why the black smoke has disappeared, except using millers.
Jim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts