Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got a V6 Mondeo mk1 and it is misfiring, it has been stood for a long time.

I have put on a new set of plugs and a new battery, I am not sure if it misfired before I started to change the plugs because the engine is still very balanced even though it is missing making it hard to tell whilst it is ticking over.

I am sure I have put the leads back on correctly but could I have unplugged 3 of the injectors or could the coil be damaged or a wire knocked off whilst rying to get the back plug leads back on?

If I leave it running for an hour it does not get hot and the heater belts out plenty of heat there is no oil in the water or water in the oil so I dont think the head gasket has gone.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, it would be a shame not to get it back on the road as it has only done 80000 miles and it has an unmarked leather interior.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check spark plug lead impedances.
Did you remove the inlet manifold to do the plugs?,if not you can easily break a plug's ceramic, or cross-thread it meaning it will not be seated.Can always get a rogue plug.
Check the rear plug leads to make sure the leads are applied properly.
Is it using any water at all?, if so pressure test the cooling system.Can have a small head gasket leak without bubbles in header tank or oil in water etc.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would put money on it being dodgy HT leads.

I had the same thing after changing the plugs.
New set of fords finest and it was a sweet as a nut!

Dont get second hand ones though they are usualy shot Even if they came from a smotth running engine. I think they dont like being pulled around as it breaks the internal carbon and causes intermitent conection.

·
Big Megger
234 Posts
wozman said:
I would put money on it being dodgy HT leads.

I had the same thing after changing the plugs.
New set of fords finest and it was a sweet as a nut!

Dont get second hand ones though they are usualy shot Even if they came from a smotth running engine. I think they dont like being pulled around as it breaks the internal carbon and causes intermitent conection.
2nd That!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have put on new leads and it seems a little better but i think it is still missing it seems to lack power when driving however it seem to be a little better i will take the plugs back out and clean them see if that works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts