Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My Gearbox or clutch is making a strange noise at idle speed and I was wondering if you guys know what it might be.

With the car in neutral and the clutch pedal released I get a very light rattling sounds. Almost if somebody is shaking a small chain. If I depress the clutch it goes away.

Any ideas what this could be? The gearbox is quiet while moving and all the gears engage easily.

At first I thought the noise was from the engine until I pressed the clutch and it went away.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tony

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
i would say thrust bearing if these had them i think they did.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I thought a worn thrust bearing would be noisy when you press the clutch pedal as this is when the bearing is thrust against the clutch plate to disengage it from the fly wheel?

might be wrong though???? :whistling: :tongue:

·
Big Megger
234 Posts
wozman said:
Thanks for the reply.

I thought a worn thrust bearing would be noisy when you press the clutch pedal as this is when the bearing is thrust against the clutch plate to disengage it from the fly wheel?

might be wrong though???? :whistling: :tongue:
No your right!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aaah was wondering.

Any idea's what the noise could be then? Could it be a worn bearing in the gearbox? main shaft or something?

All gears engage easily and doesnt seem noisy when driving?

Thanks
tony

·
Lost in translation
1,176 Posts
Got that too.. crap.. gearbox feels fine though. think this is common..

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
have you tryed to remove the air filter box and check the gear change mechanism on the top of the gearbox. mine looks to be a little loose and the counterweight on the top i suspect is doing a bit of a rattling. on mine sounds like it is comming from the pipe between the filterbox and the intake, but closer look points beneath it where the gearchange is. somewhere i read you can diagnose rattling with a long screwdriver or some kind of a rod. just touch the end to the suspected points and put you ear at the other end and you can hear where the noise is coming from. good for finding air leaks also. you can rev the engine if the rattling is not there when eng is idling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts