Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending an hour or so using the no so good search feature... I cant come to any conclusions.. SO

What can I get on a trip comp on a mk2 diesel?

If i connect the VSS will i get average speed and will I get the oddometer function? If so, which pins do I connect to what?

If I connect the fuel remaining, will it do anything or is it a waste of time?

If I get a temperature sender, what plugs in / wires in where?

I know I cant get mpg without messing about with programming etc, and im not that bothered. I wouldnt mind however having something on the left of the display... so any help is appreciated.

My car is a P reg GHIA TD, and the trip comp is rel 3. I wouldnt mind knowing the various bits as im considering getting another td mondeo, and will probably move all my ghia x bits over.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
To be honest I think you may be restricted to just the temperature, time and stopwatch features of it. The ECU is different than the Petrols in the Diesels (i.e. doesnt actually have anything to do with the fuelling) so you are gonna be hard pressed to get anything out of it. Dont think its possible to get the average speed, or the miles remaining because it wont be logging the amout on fuel used or the consumption so wont be able to make that calculation.

Have heard it is possible to get a trip computer working in a TD, but not without major messing about (i.e. not just a case of a couple of wires).

Personally I wouldn't think its worth the bother.

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, im not really all that bothered about mpg or fuel remaining. The trip counter and the average speed would be ok, just wondering if theres a fairly simple way of getting this (i.e. by connecting the VSS from the speedo to the trip)...

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Not sure if it works off just the VSS signal to be honest. Guardtower is will do doubt know all about this though as he is the Man when it comes to trip computers :)

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
guard tower dosent know if other features other than temp sender work on a diesel it has been suggested by him certain things may work but no one has actuallt tried

wilko have you looked on www.mirez.co.uk for wiring info ? he's got a fair bit on there.

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
details of what wiring connections to make the temp guage work are on www.mirez.co.uk

come to the conclusion a while ago that the trip functions cant be made to work on a TD, thats why ford never fit them to a TD. you could fit satnav and have the trip functions through that instead.

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looking there now. I think I might have a go at connecting VSS from the instrument cluster and see if I get anything. Im not into messing about with fuel flow and fuel remaning to get mpg figures, I just think it looks a bit bare with nothing on the left... (should have thought about this before I bought it)

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
outside temp is easy pin 13 and 14 u remove the cable tie and clip open the housing and u put bare wire in and poke it down with a presicion screwdriver its that easy

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, I too have come to the conclusion that trips dont do anything other than give you a glorified clock in a diesel.

·
Registered
680 Posts
wilkobob said:
Right, I too have come to the conclusion that trips dont do anything other than give you a glorified clock in a diesel.
i am been stubbern and refusing to come to that conclusion yet, my plans to make a diesel trip computer interface havent got off the ground yet and wont be for a while (too many other commitments and projects at the mo), i do also plan on getting a smaller temp sensor and mounting it in my intercooler , haha.

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
even proper factory fitted trips are never very accurate and go wrong. satnav for trip/speed info, and the fill fuel tank and use tripometer button method are much more accurate.

just think of the hours you could spend trying getting it to work which could be spent on something much more useful on the car lol.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
or buy a mk3 high spec diesel theyve got one lol

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
totalguy said:
or buy a mk3 high spec diesel theyve got one lol
Which arent that accurate! Or not in my case anyway. Mine under-reports the MPG, and the TDCi's tend to over report it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts