Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this mechanical or not, but hoping someone can help. My 51 reg 2.0 when ideling will develop a rev fluctuation from the normal idel speed sometimes up to 1500 RPM and back again. It happens when hot and cold and will go for weeks with no problem at all. Ford are not interested in sorting it out saying "well it might need a software update". As soon as power is applied this stops and there seems to be no loss of power or fuel consumption (usually delivering around 38-39MPG)

Anyone got any ideas?

·
MEG Corporal
623 Posts
I have the same problem with my MK3, discussed it on here a while back with no real answers.

I hooked my car up to a fault code reader and nothing came up, but it's not done the weird rev's thing for a while now. I'm sure it'll come back though.

Still could be the idle valve i suppose!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gland it's not just me, however no one seems to know anything about it? When the car was serviced no fault codes were mentioned and the car behaved perfictly so the garage didn't see it happening. It is rather infurating!

It isn't mentioned on the Ford TIS disk either, not that the one I've got is up to date, indicating that this is not a known issue.

I have also tryed disconnecting the battery so that the ECU is reset and this hasn't made any difference.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Common one this, just clean out (with proper squirty carb cleaner - WD40 doesn't cut the mustard :tongue: ) or replace your IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) For the uninitiated, the IACV is a small aluminium cylinder bolted to the inlet manifold, just after the throttle butterfly housing. Remember to replace the electrical plug when you're done, or else the car wont idle at all *cough* :whistling: .

·
MEG Corporal
623 Posts
Think i'll have a go at that, having not looked under the bonnet yet this may sound stupid but do I have to remove it from the car or can I clean it in situ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.