Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big Megger
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to fit the five stud hubs from a Mk3 to a Mk2 Mondeo?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
hmmm interesting idea it might work they are similar but you would need to consider if track rod ends will fit and if the suspention struts will fit the hubs too and obviously the drive shafts.

what might work if it will fit is the flange, the bit that the studs stick out of if u could fit one of those to a mk2 ud be laffing.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
if the bearings are the same then replacing the hubs only is as replacing bearings job.

·
Big Megger
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that no problem is impossible to engineer a way round if i could be arsed. I was wondering if anyone had already done this and whether or not it was just a case of mix and matching various parts from each Mk of Mondeo. If it turned out to be a simple, bolt together, no machining required solution then it will probably be worth the effort.

·
Never knowingly understood
23,164 Posts
Garybee said:
...........will probably be worth the effort.
What would you acheive mate.

Don't want to sound abrupt, but surely all you'd have is a choice of 5-stud rims.... oh, and the acclaim here for managing to do it :L

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
if i remember right a member on here weegee had the bits which the studs go through made up by a metal machineist instead of buying replacements from ford so if that can be done even if the mk3 ones wont fit the mk2 then someone can surely make them to fit a mk2 with 5 studs on them its a case of who you know really.

·
Never knowingly understood
23,164 Posts
Is the offset etc. of Mk3 wheels compatible with the Mk1/ Mk2 ???

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
if mk3 hubs were to be bolted to a mk2 (i think it can be done with minimal modding) then yea the stud pattern will change from 4 to 5 (no good for my 19''s ive got to go on) but you would then have 300mm front discs and quite big rear discs aswell (think theyre 270mm)

In braking terms its worth it and something i was going to look at in the not too distant future.

Perhaps a mk3 rear subframe would bolt straight on aswell.

jcth1

·
Big Megger
290 Posts
The reason i asked the question was that i was thinking of upgrading the brakes on my cougar and i would rather fit something which is easy to get spare parts for. I also don't like the look of aftermarket wheels and Mk3 hubs would allow me to use wheels from the new mondeo or focus.

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
If it was just the hubs then all you would need, in theory, would be front wheel bearings with an inside diameter of the Mk2 drive shaft and outside diameter of the Mk3 hub and rear wheel bearings with an inside diameter of the Mk3 Hub and outside diameter of the mk2 hub holder. But as this is not what you are trying to achieve, then to upgrade brakes etc. you would probably have to convert the struts and hub carriers as well or as suggested above the whole subframes etc.

·
AKA The Twigg!
9,331 Posts
dont think the rear subframe would fit at all mate and i think the drive shafts and bearings are different sizes. i can check in the next few days as i have my dads Mk3 down at the weekend and can compare to the mk2 i own.

Dan :L

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
subframe is definately different on mk3 or you would have the same probs on the mk2 with the bushes.

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
totalguy said:
subframe is definately different on mk3 or you would have the same probs on the mk2 with the bushes.
i thought the rear subframe aint got bushes. If im right then what stopped ford adding bushes to the mk3 to make it quieter or more comfortable or just to improve the setup?????

I had a look under a tdci other day TG and i reckon theres a good chance alot of the rear end could bolt on.

But then one wont know until everything is measured up.

jcth1

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
anyway..
i've seen somewhere a step by step guide from guy who converted 4 stud hubs to 5 stud ones with just drilling new holes for the studs, which is (i think) pretty easy to do, but from then on are comming the questions:
1. balancing the hub?
2. will bigger disks fit on the old hubs?
3. can you get alloys to fit studs new positions(diameterwise)?
4. will the 5stud alloys fit on the ouside lip of 4 stud hub?
just thoughts ..

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
JCTH1 said:
totalguy said:
i thought the rear subframe aint got bushes. If im right then what stopped ford adding bushes to the mk3 to make it quieter or more comfortable or just to improve the setup?????

I had a look under a tdci other day TG and i reckon theres a good chance alot of the rear end could bolt on.

But then one wont know until everything is measured up.

jcth1
havent you seen all the posts about rear subframe bushes? lol thats why i got poly's put in mine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.