Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm new to the forum. My vehicle has developed a fault - lack of power on inclines and car seems to rev higher before changing gear. Despite having no fault codes on a basic scanner, and only have engine malfunction appear briefly once, I have to date changed the turbo boost solenoid valve and throttle body but have not yet got to the bottom of the problem. The gearbox has been fully serviced. I am now scratching my head and garages don't want to know. As I am reasonably handy with a set of spanners, I would like to get Forscan but can you advise if I will need the extended version to give me a full diagnosis of the gearbox solenoids? Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks grumpyaxeswinger,
looks like that is the way to go l am so frustrated with this car had it for 6 years now and do not want to replace it. I hope forscan will show a fault code that the basic scanner is unable to.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
For scanning code and performing test you won't need the extended license.

If all else fail, consider ringing up specalist on this transmission. Search for 6DCT450 / powershift repair and quite a few should come up. Ring around and decide which sounds more trustworthy.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,670 Posts
Quite a few should come up! Are you for real?

Reactions: stonekeeper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For scanning code and performing test you won't need the extended license.

If all else fail, consider ringing up specalist on this transmission. Search for 6DCT450 / powershift repair and quite a few should come up. Ring around and decide which sounds more trustworthy.
Ah thank you for the advice have ordered my forsacan adapter and will post my findings. l would just love it if it was something else and not the gearbox wishful thinking l suppose.

·
8 gears or more please
5,670 Posts
Fridge, I have spent quite a lot of time in the past learning about the 6DCT450.
Finding anyone who is knowledgeable and competent on these transmissions is almost impossible.
A brilliant guy in Sweden taught me most of what I know. I had loads of correspondence with him.
Known on this forum as Swedeshoebox
Here is his main thread from some time back

What area are you in. I might, repeat might, know a repairer I can refer you to

Reactions: Grumpyaxeswinger

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link treborB, l have seen a lot of work being done on this gearbox so it all helps. l have no fault logs to look at but l was using a basic scanner so am awaiting for the post to deliver an adaptor that works well with forscan.
I live down in Kent.
Thanks again.

·
8 gears or more please
5,670 Posts
Hi Fridge, I am up in Warwickshire, near Coventry. I have no notes of anyone I can recommend in your area, sorry.
Let's see what fault codes come up when you use forscan, best of luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Forscan adapter arrived today and I have run the tests and the plot thickens. The fault codes are P132B and P123A both of which seem to be turbo related - has anyone experienced these fault codes? I am now starting to wonder if an engine problem is causing the gearbox to not know what gear to select? I will be carrying on with my investigations tomorrow and will provide an update on my findings.

·
8 gears or more please
5,670 Posts
Have you also put the fault codes into "Google", type in as Ford Fault Code P132A and then Ford Fault Code P132B - may give more info

As a matter of interest can you clarify the 2 names - is michaeldv also fridgehq - bit confusing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes not sure what to do about my names on this forum. I lost access with fridgehq forgot my password then my e mail was not regonised. I have since used a different e mail address and re registered and for some reason my old fridgehq has appeared this is confusing and not sure what to do?

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
Password must be saved on the device or browser. Check saved login/passwords.
Probably the device you use at home not a mobile device.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My Forscan adapter arrived today and I have run the tests and the plot thickens. The fault codes are P132B and P123A both of which seem to be turbo related - has anyone experienced these fault codes? I am now starting to wonder if an engine problem is causing the gearbox to not know what gear to select? I will be carrying on with my investigations tomorrow and will provide an update on my findings.
Have you tried driving the car and changing gears manually to see how it drives and if you get the arrows suggesting when to change up and down?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Stonekeeper
I went out last night and got someone to look at forscan on the move it looks like l have boost issues.
The car will change to all 6 six gears manually but get confused in auto mode any slight incline and my foot is on the floor.
I am going to visually look at the turbo when my back is up to it( vacuum test on actuator)as l will need to climb under the car.
Thanks and will keep you all posted.

·
Big Megger
209 Posts
Get some smoke pellets and channel the smoke up the exhaust with the engine off. Check closely for any signs of smoke around the exhaust manifold at the back of the engine. The manifolds can crack causing a lack of boost. The turbo is integral to the manifold so you end up replacing both.

Reactions: fridgehq

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all sorry for the late update.
I have finally tracked down the fault and after taking the heatshield off of the turbo it appears that the exhaust manifold has fractured in two places hence the loss of boost ( p132b ) fault code.
Thanks quinny for the heads up, you were on the money.

To say I am dissapointed with this is an understatement the car only has 66k on the clock and in my eyes as an engineer is clearly a design fault.

I have taken some pictures to share with you all.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design
Arm Human body Wood Thigh Automotive tire
Head Human body Helmet Jaw Sculpture

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts