Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this..

I own a P reg Mk2 2.0 Petrol Hatchback, which has developed multiple leaks in the exhaust system. I've had a look, and its the 2 back box, exit on right version, and ive worked out I need at least both back boxes and the mid section to fix the leaks. I MAY need more..

The leak that has most recently developed is why I noticed this at all, as its now making a loud hissing sound under load, which sounds like its coming from the front when i'm driving. I also get fumes in the cab when stationary.

So my first question is, does it sound likely that the front part, or maybe the manifold need replacing too?

And my 2nd question is, will a complete mk1 exhaust fit my car?

- I found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-2-0-16V-1993-1997-HATCHBACK-SALOON-EXHAUST-SILENCER-ART-/150937857965?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232498efad

Which looks correct, but it says its for mk1, and I cant find any solid info to confirm this would fit all the mount points, and attach to the engine OK.. - For that price, I may as well replace the whole system!

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Mk1 uses the same chassis and mounting points as a Mk2 so go nuts. But personally, I'd get yourself a new one made up like a Powerflow or something like that. Those two large heavy back boxes are unnecessary and are one heck of a restriction. Spend the bills and get a nice 2 inch system made up out of stainless or thick wall mild steel.

As for the hissing noise, it's possibly leaking around the catalytic converter flange, or developed a hole around there somewhere

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, that's helped a lot.. I may still have to go with the cheap option for now though as I been spending on other things recently, and don't have extra cash for this (especially cause I think my CAT maybe on its way out too - which may have caused the hissing)..

With a straight through one, without the boxes, would it still exit on right? Also, what would improve? - I guess mpg, and acceleration? I looked on site, and found no info on pricing, I guess cause every job is different. Any idea how much a custom job like this might be?

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
You don't want a full straight through exhaust. You lose power that way, unless you're running a turbo, and its noisy as hell. And if you go custom, you can have it exit anywhere you want. Some are twin exit like the ST200 and ST220. You may have a slight performance gain, but the main thing is it will run cooler as there's less restriction and less heat soak. If you get a sports cat then you will get a performance increase over a factory one and still pass emissions. As for price, I paid NZD$650 for my initial cat-back system which would equate to around 300-330 pounds, but I'd imagine you can get it cheaper if you shop around. That said, my fabricator is notorious for overcharging, but he does excellent work.

An ideal exhaust for a 2L Zetec is 2 inch tube going about as far as the spare wheel well, and then dropping down to about 1 and 3/4 inch to the end to bring the airspeed up and avoid a nasty drone. In the centre, you'll have a resonator where the original centre muffler sits and your back box will be a regular silencer to cut the noise and increase back pressure ever so slightly. And then your choice of muffler tip welded on. Also, where it drops down to 1 and 3/4 inch pipe, have them put a flange in between in case you have to do any work under the car and you can remove the rear muffler section quickly and easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts