Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the father in laws mk1 his headlight lens's are yellowish, and he wants to know if it is normal or if not can they be replaced. Its not the outer lens but the inner ones. Sorry if this is the wrong forum guys but it is the most appropriate i could find, Thanks

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
i have to admit , a good 90% of mk1s , even back in 1997 they all looked yellow , why is that do you think?

the mk2's dont have this prob?

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
MONDYMANv6 said:
i have to admit , a good 90% of mk1s , even back in 1997 they all looked yellow , why is that do you think?

wasnt this an issue with the wrong type of bulbs or am i talking crap as usual :whistling: :whistling:

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
It's caused I understand by the uv light from the bulbs, the lenses can be removed and cleaned so that they are fairly clear and will easy pass an MOT etc, best method is to put them in the dishwasher (trust me it works) New lenses are still available from Ford for about £35 a pair. The lenses can be removed whilst the lights are still fitted to the car, it onlt takes about 10 mins.

Steve

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
paulyoung666 said:
MONDYMANv6 said:

wasnt this an issue with the wrong type of bulbs or am i talking crap as usual :whistling: :whistling:
Yeah I've heard that as well but I dont think it's fact, the majority of yellowed lenses I've come across are on cars still with the original (I presume) Motorcraft bulbs fitted and the finis code for the bulbs is the same as any other Ford with H4 bulbs, I think it was probably more a case of using the wrong material for the plastic lenses and as said above Ford ditched them on the later MK1's.

Steve

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
urban myth time then :eyesup: :doh:

·
MEG Corporal
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stevedohc16v said:
It's caused I understand by the uv light from the bulbs, the lenses can be removed and cleaned so that they are fairly clear and will easy pass an MOT etc, best method is to put them in the dishwasher (trust me it works) New lenses are still available from Ford for about £35 a pair. The lenses can be removed whilst the lights are still fitted to the car, it onlt takes about 10 mins.

Steve
How do you change these then. Mine is a mk2 so not had chance to look at it properly

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
stevedohc16v said:

Steve
thats why then :D

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
jenks said:
stevedohc16v said:

Steve
How do you change these then. Mine is a mk2 so not had chance to look at it properly
Nothing to worry about with a MK2 mate, the beam pattern is built into the glass, same with late MK1's as well :L

Steve

·
MEG Corporal
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stevedohc16v said:

Steve
:sad: I think my dishwasher gets a little hotter than yuors as they came out a milky colour. Fortunatly I got a set from a scrap yard to try first. Anybody got any other ideas as I cant turn the heat down on my dishwasher :whistling: ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi jenks, the inner lenses will always discolour so even with a new set they will eventually go that way, is your dad looking at getting a white colour from the bulb or is it just that he finds it ugly in the daylight? if he wants a whiter coloured light then tell him to upgrade his dipped bulbs to a set of sports/ice blue 80w bulbs, you can get these from pretty much any motor spares shop or halfords, hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.