Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rangers are [email protected]@e
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!!!! the reverse gear pull up for reverse, under gear knob, is rattling over 50 mph, so bad that i have to hold it up under the knob. Any suggestions to solve this please, have tried putting mastic in the gear shaft to make a sleeve to stop the vibration but it didn't work.

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Lift the gaitor up by a little force as its only clipped in and you should see some Torx screws holding the body of the shaft down.

Give these a tighten as in my experience they work loose. Might solve your problem.

jcth1

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
don't think it's that m8, mine has done it since i got the mondy and my mech m8 said that there was a new bit brought in on the tsb's to sort it, basically a weighted sleeve that fits aroung the linkages to stop the vibration (think that's what he said), i did mention it on here a couple of years ago but that was the old software so it's prob gone and i forgot all about it tbh.

never bothered in the end mine stops at 60 ;)

·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a update on that f ing rattle. I took off the gear knob, then prised the rubber selector off wi a big straight head screwdriver, found that i bent the wee pin which looks like a flint from a hornby rail track, then noticed the cable for selecting reverse has a square metal head on it and when the pin is in place and reverse is selected this cable comes up a groove in the gear selector and tilts at an angle, so i drove round the block and this block vibrates in the groove. So i reassembled the lot and found it rattles a lot more on lower speed and less at 50-60, so in a couple of days im going to try a few things to solve the vibration.
I'll keep you up to date.
thanks for your help.

·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive clean forgot to post how i cured this.
I took the gold round thing off which was kind of moulded on the gear stick with rubber then pulled the reverse cable up, masticed it in the grove on the gear stick then wrapped pvc tape round the end so the reverse gear cable would be pulled up at all times then reasembled everthing and put the gearknob back on and now no more annoying rattle, only thing is have to watch when changing fro 5th to 4th incase slip into reverse!!!
which luckly hasn't happened yet!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.