Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

When the engine/Transmission is cold I find it hard to use the First and Second Gears. It feels like the clutch is gone or something... but all th otehre gears are smooth. When the vehicle heats up around 5 minute of driving and all the gears are smooth.

I saw this is a problem with 97 Mondeos (Like Mine), Is there a way to get rid of this problem? The mechanic is sayin changin the transmission Oil might help.... will it help in anyway?? Any help will be much appreciated..

:thankyousign:

Prav

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
the oil might help but dont count your chickens i used to have this prob when engine was cold after the first time iwent into second second was fine but it took longer to get first to losten up

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
yeah you could try geearbox oil semi synthetic 70/90 or 90/70 i forget which way it is but thats better than the one ford reccomends

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip.

I tried this and it for some reason no the gears feel more hard than before. When the vehicle is cold and stationary the gears are smooth but the minute it starts rolling, to get the car on 1st and 2nd gear is an adventure :( . If i stop the vehicle and change to first or second its again smooth. All this is happening when the vehicle is cold once the engine is hot all the gears are smooth..:(

Can this be a problem with the clutch, but I am able to use all the other gears without any issues... I might sound stupid, but does it take time for the oil to start working as it should be?

Any help on this will be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance
Prav

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
it takes timee for the oil to work yes and the semi synthetic stuff works a bit quicker than ford reccomended oil i doubt very much its a clutch problem its more than likely down to a worn box i just got used to it on my mk2 the other option is to replace the box but unless your flush with money its not worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.