Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
In the garden Eatin worms.
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guyz an gals. This is my 1st post so please be gentle :}
I was having a nose on here and found in the technical bit a bit of guff on a brake conversion. I was just wondering if anyone has done it. I have the link here
http://www.fordmondeo.org/workshop/pmwiki.php?n=Mechanical.UpgradingBrakes-Mk1AmpMk2

Its using mk3 calipers and 300mm disks. I managed to find and get some calipers for £80 the pair. and would like to know a little more about the conversion.. Coz i have upgraded the brake hoses, can i still use them on the mk3s? I take it that the spacer mentioned in the like is a wheel spacer rather than a caliper spacer? I am now running on BSA267 17" alloys so hopefully this shouldn't be a problem.

Any help will be greatly received. Thanks in advance.

P.S Coz of work and other things i might not be on here much, so i would appreciate it if you could e-mail me at [email protected]

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
AFAIK the space is just a washer and not a wheel spacer.

Im planning on doing the conversion as i have everything ready to go myself.

jcth1

·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the assistance. But excuse me for being dumb, but where does the spacer/washer go??

Also, i have been looking around for some ST170 performance disks, and the ones i found wern't 300mm they were 278. I have sent an e-mail to Questmead about the disks and if they can offer any assistance with choosing hyper-performance disks and pads. As breaks are thier speciality..

I would really appreciate it if you did some pics along the way. I know its a simple bolt off, bolt on jobby, but the images would be really good.

·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beauty, what a star thanks.

Just a couple of things though. The washer/spacer i take it, it goes between the caliper and the carrier??

Also, about the 300mm disks, i have found on www.motorsportworld.co.uk that the ST170 disks are 278!! Its not hard (i should imaging) to pick up some 300mm disks but i just want to make certain.

Oh just one more thing. (sorry) I have goodridge braided hoses. I take it they are the same fixings on the MK3?? and what about the master cylinder, i take it, it can cope with the larger dia calipers. [next upgrade to ST200/24 master cylinder and servo]

Thanks again friend

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
[quote name=Nobby B]Beauty, what a star thanks.

Just a couple of things though. The washer/spacer i take it, it goes between the caliper and the carrier??

Also, about the 300mm disks, i have found on www.motorsportworld.co.uk that the ST170 disks are 278!! Its not hard (i should imaging) to pick up some 300mm disks but i just want to make certain.

Oh just one more thing. (sorry) I have goodridge braided hoses. I take it they are the same fixings on the MK3?? and what about the master cylinder, i take it, it can cope with the larger dia calipers. [next upgrade to ST200/24 master cylinder and servo]

Thanks again friend[/quote]

If you use the mk3 discs and calipers you dont need spacers. You only use spacers if you use the St170 discs, The spacer goes between the caliper carrier and the hub/knuckle. The hoses that you have will be ok, The master cylinder will be ok too, As for upgrading to a ST24 servo and master cylinder, I cant see why you want to do it, It wont make any difference

·
Big Megger
360 Posts
You will need the ST170 discs which are 300mm not 278mm. This is because the mk3 has a five stud pattern, whereas the ST170 has four and will fit straight on the mk2 mondeo hub. The washer is to space the mk3 mondeo caliper away from the carrier slightly as the focus discs are ever so slightly deaper.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yip you could ....if you could find them!! . they are unique to st 170 and are very expensive to buy new. thats why when i was workin out this mod a couple of years ago i used the mk 3 mondy calipers as they were easier to find from the breakers as they are the same on all 2001> mondeo.

·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my calipers, now. I thought they were reasonably priced.. They quoted me £50ea or £80 pair, i nearly bit his hand off at that.. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but 80 sovereigns for 2 reasonably newish calipers. While i was their i asked about a complete back axle to do a rear disk conversion and he said £100, again i thought not bad.. I'll get the fronts done first.. should have some pics of them cleaning 'em up..
Well i would if i knew how the hell up put images on...

Attachments

·
Big Megger
248 Posts
WilsonsV6 said:
yip you could ....if you could find them!! . they are unique to st 170 and are very expensive to buy new. thats why when i was workin out this mod a couple of years ago i used the mk 3 mondy calipers as they were easier to find from the breakers as they are the same on all 2001> mondeo.
here some Link

·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kewl.. i Followed the link and yep methinks they should do, but it depends on how much he wants for them???

Also while i was poking around on eBay i remembered a brake refurb company, couldn't remember who so i poked around for some seals and found it 1st time, they are a company called Bigg red. they can be found at http://www.biggred.co.uk looks like the prices are reasonable too..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.