Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I don't know a great deal about suspension, so go easy on me!

Is 'rebuilding the struts' the same as 'replacing the shocks'? (Told you! :L )

Or to put it another way, when you have the struts rebuilt, does it make sense to replace the shocks at the same time (assuming you don't have to do that when you rebuild the struts)?

I have a knock from the left hand side, which I believe is the strut top mount, or something in that area, hence the question.

Good luck in trying to make sense of all that! :stupid: :thankyousign:

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
backwards:
knock at the top?
if trully at the top then most likely bearing falling apart, or so badly worn out mount(the top rubber section of the mount) or maybe something wrong with the spring(broken?).
a strut consists of a shock and a spring all together as one component.

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the knock has been present for about 2 years, and it that time has only got slightly worse.

And it's passed 2 MOTs with it, so I would hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've seen knocks before at the top of the strut which was down to the strut top nut not being torqued correctly, to get to it you just need to open the bonnet remove the nyloc nut that you see at the top (you may need to use a hex key whilst undoing it) and then lift of the black cap. Underneath you'll see another nut which holds the spring, etc in place on the strut, use a ring spanner and make sure its tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.