Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The never ending project is close to finishing
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been looking at my TD (1997) could someone shed some light as to where i will find the glow plug relay. I have put on the volt meter but there is no voltage going to the plug, please help :L

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
there should be a constant live feed to any relay afaik thats what i was told.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres no current going to the glow plugs them selfs, that why i want to check the relay! Any body know where its located?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
ah right erm ill have a look see if i can find any info :L

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
R17 black but thats a mk1 haynes manual saying that but im pretty sure theyre the same.

fuse 3 yellow 60a if you need to check that. iirc its the ones that have the clear window on the top.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
dieselracer said:
under the battery
yeah theres a black one there and theres a black one in the fusebox dunno what its for but could possibly swap them for a temporary check.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay. I have been playing the relay i have at the mo. When i turn on the ignition there is no voltage to the glow plugs, however i know that there is voltage going to the relay, One permenant and one switched. I suspect the relay is fooked, so i thought i'd just double check everything so:

Whilst the engine was running i put the volt meter onto the glow plug wire and had a voltage of of approx 12.5v, is this something to do with the cold starting and would switch its self off after a short period, or does the feed to the glow plugs stay on all the time?

Thanks

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
afaik it shouldnt stay on all the time because your glow plugs would burn out thats what the relays for to turn them off.

when i had heated'elec seat wiring put in garryD made me a little loom as i had none of it in the car this had a relay with the wiring, when i put seat on it got hot stayed hot for so long then knocked off. If iwanted heat still i would need to turn the switch off then back on the glow plugs should work in this way too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts