Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Little Megger
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 1998 Mk2 Diesel LX. The steering wheel is very worn and looks and feels terrible. I have just ordered a second hand one from a breakers which is a leather covered version. Can anyone advixe on how easy it will be to fit? I have an air bag, bit no cruise control or anything else, it is just a base model.

kind regards,

Howard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Never changed a Mondeo one but I guess it must be fairly similar to any other car with an airbag.

Before doing anything that involves the airbag you should disconnect the battery for a good 15 / 20 minutes (remember this might lose your radio code if it requires one).

There's probably a couple of screws that hold the airbag unit on from behind the wheel, these will need to be undone so you can remove the airbag itself. On my old car you needed to turn the wheel 90 degrees from centre left and right to get to the screw on each side.

There's probably then some king of block connector and lead that connects the airbag to the car, undo this.

You should then see the socket holding on the wheel itself, it was massive on the 307. Had to borrow one off a mate. There was also a second torx screw for positioning the wheel that needed undoing.

Change the wheel over and tighten up the socket to the correct setting.

Refit the air bag lead (it threaded through a channel in the steering wheel hole) and ensure it's a good connection, you don't want the airbag warning light on!

Resposition the airbag unit and then refit the screws from behind the wheel!

Hopefully it's not too far off the Ford way! ;) It's pretty straight forward to be honest if you've got the right tools. A local garage would charge bugger all to do it though as it's hardly a major effort!

·
Registered
115 Posts
No problem. I just tightened it up very snugly, not overtightened.

Never had any issues after or scary moments of steering wheel in hands but not attached to car! :laugh:

If in doubt, get a garage to do it. ;)

·
IT guy with dirty hands!
574 Posts
its pretty easy to do yourself.. done it a cpuple of times fitting cruise to mondys.
Disconnect the airbag,
turn the steering wheel so that you can reach the torx screws on the back (torx 25-35 IIRC)
loosen the screws and pull off the airbag.
Pull off the yellow plug on the back of the airbag and slide the wire through the hole through which it emerges.
Use a good quality socket to remove the center bolt on the steering wheel and pull off the steering wheel..
Make sure that the steering lock isnt engaged, as you might break it of tightened too much!

refit in reverse order..

its going to take you about 10 mins. apart for the waiting on the charge to go away..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.