Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
The sender in your car is a trip sender (fitted as standard from 98 onwards) all you need is a rel 3.6, 4.0 or 5.0 trip ;)

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
Press and hold the big left button with the ignition on and when it enteres test mode press again til you see rEL and thats the number i want

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
bummer.... that should realy be in a 1997 mondie.
Problem is that the senders and fuel gauges changed in 1998 so if you was to fit a 1997 dual track sender your fuel gauge would work backwards....
You can connect pin 8 on the trip to the white\red wire on the sender and that will give you some numbers but if you fill the tank above half it will go off.
Ultimatly you need a newer trip.

·
Big Megger
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got the trip and the fuel sender from the same car tho the guy broke the car and sold me the temp sensor the trip and the fuel sender and i put it all in my car shud it still not work being from the same car, also i filled the car up and the gauge works ok, dont know whats wrong, do you think i shud put my original fuel sender back in and get a version from 3.6 onwards then?

·
Big Megger
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on my car i had only 5 wires but i got the plug with the trip and it has roughly 14 wires on it, i wired it all up and it all works apart from miles left in tank

·
Big Megger
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i tried leaving my fuel sender in and ran a wire to that for miles left in tank but nothing so i changed the sender unit also and its still the same altho i did fill the car up and the gauge is working ok so im thinking its the version of the trip itself thats stopping it from working!

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
You need the fuel remaining on pin 8 and not pin 7 on the trip, also i think the sender needs to be on pin 2 and that is not the red one... its black and white.

·
Big Megger
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i run a wire from the sender unit the middle pin on the 3 pins in a row and i attached it to pin 8 on my trip but nothing, do u mean the pin from the sender is on the wrong one should it not be the middle pin of the connector?

·
Big Megger
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i done everything exactly like it said on the mirez site and everything is working ok except the miles left in tank which is blank no digits at all

·
Big Megger
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it said on the mirez site that the pin 2 on the fuel sender which is wh/bk runs the fuel gauge on the dash but my connector had that pin missing so i ran the wire to it, now im thinking if mirez said it runs the fuel gauge why did my car not have that wire and my fuel gauge works im thinking that maybe they changed the wiring as my car is a 2000 year so whatever wire runs my fuel gauge the sender unit wire should run from that wire they are numbered like this

PIN 1-B/K
PIN 2-WH/BK
PIN 3-VT/OG
PIN 4-BK-BU
PIN 5-WH/RD

on my car pin 2 was missing the sender had the 5 pins going into the connector but no pin 2 could there be a mistake here maybe my sender which runs the fuel gauge is not from pin 2 but another pin on the sender itself?

·
Big Megger
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no i didnt mate i onlt ran a wire from pin 2 on the sender and mine was blank but mirez said its wh/bk so im thinking your right i do have a white and red wire on my sender unit so it must be that one i think!

·
Big Megger
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
do you think then if i run this wire from the red/white wire on my sender unit this should give me my miles left, mirez said its the one that runs the fuel gauge so if its red and white that runs that surely this is the wire i need to run my wire?

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
The white\red wire does run the gauge and it can also be found on the plug at the back of the speedo if you dont want to run a long wire to the back of the car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.