Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Little Megger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLease excuse my stupidity.....

A friend of mine has told me his Mondeo has a rev 'blip' or 'blackspot' between 1500-2000 rpm.

I know i have seen reference made to this on the forum, but am b******d if i can find it !!

Could anybody point me to it please ??

(Is it the EGR valve ??)

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hold the car steady at 1800rpm for a few seconds and you should feel it. Not sure what causes it, but I'm suspecting it's something in the ECU map as it goes away for a while if you do a reset....

Chris

·
3 Posts
Also known as the 1800-2000 rpm "stutter" or misfire. I've suffered for 3 years almost from new. For me it turned out to be a faulty exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve. You can generally decide if your fault is the EGR valve by simply disconnecting the EGR valve vacuum pipe and blocking the pipe with something. Personally I use the plastic shelf peg from flat-pack furniture. Daft I know, but the diameter ot the peg just fits the vacuum pipe nicely. Drive around for a bit with the blocked vacuum pipe dangling, the EGR valve just open to air pressure. For me it's instantaneous, no more stutter. There doesn't seem to be any impact on drivability, nor MPG, or anything else. Someone in these forums even suggests that taking the EGR out of the air intake circuit can be considered beneficial since you will be getting pure air intake all the time instead of some mixture of air and recirculated combustion gasses (I think I might have read this in the workshop entry aboout the EGR valve).

I've been told by my dealer that Ford Technical know this is a problem, and it seems to affect autos more than manuals. I was also told that Ford Tach have said there's a redesigned valve in the works to address this issue. I'm still pressing my main dealer to get me one of these redesigned valves, even though I'm out of warrenty. I feel 20+ reports and investigations whilst under warranty sort of entitles me to a fix because it turned out to be a mechanical fault with a part.

I hope this helps
RTH

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
on the minus side, disconnecting your egr *could* cause an MOT fail, also on a more humanitarian note the egr reduces the NO2 emitted by the engine, NO2 is known to be the main cause of asthma in young children, a potential killer.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
ScoobyChris said:
Hold the car steady at 1800rpm for a few seconds and you should feel it. Not sure what causes it, but I'm suspecting it's something in the ECU map as it goes away for a while if you do a reset....

Chris
its change from stage 1 injection to stage 2. if u have the car under 1800 then u put ur foot down a little bit u will hear the sound of the engine change to a more fiercer grunt.

p.s. disconnecting or blocking the egr will not do anything regarding this issue.

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
and because of the highier temperatures your car could go slower....

When you let off the throttle without EGR you allow fesh air to enter the cyclinder and meet with a minimal amount of diesel (almost the tickover setting) which burnes fast in the lean mixture. This causes more heating and may even cause knock as it explodes rather than burning.

With EGR this off throttle burning is suppressed so buy injecting exhaust gas you help to cool the cyclinder.

EGR appearently also increases your mpg when driving "normally".

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
define "normally" :} :} :}

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.