Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Big Megger
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a MK3 2001 Model and about 6mnths ago part exchanged it for a 2004.5 model.

I have noticed that they have changed the gearbox on later models I don't know when they changed it but someone here might know it's a standerd 1.8 LX Model ?

I've also noticed that it still has the engine starting issue where sometimes it cranks over a long time before starting I would have thought they would have fixed that by know?.

Have they done something to the engine like put knock sensors on the later models as mine does not pink anymore like my other 2001 did?.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
thats funny , i have never noticed my 2001 1.8 zetec pinking :whistling:

·
MEG's resident tractor driver!
1,233 Posts
the starting isue might be because of the design of newwer engines-i know of a brand new digger which cranks for ages before it fires, the dealers response was that some newer engines (like that one) are designed so that they dont start till the oil pressure has built up-hence cranking but not fireing

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
the long cranking is a known problem especially when the engine is started & then stopped while still cold/warming up & TBH i dont think they know how to fix it :(

the workround for it which works near enough every time is to press the throttle just as the engine has stopped when you switch it off, you will hear a thunk/sucking kinda noise from the engine bay ( intake area ) & 9 out of 10 times the car will start up perfectly the following time :L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.