Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Little Megger
21 Posts
Wonder if anybody can help please ....

I have a '53 plate 2.0 TDCI Tip.A problem (potentially serious) has arisen.It has happened 3 times in the last 2 nights.

Whilst driving, the car has suddenly 'died'. By this I mean all power has gone (including power steering).

There is a light situated just above the temperature gauge which looks like a coil. When the power goes, this symbol flashes off and on intermittently. If I turn the ignition off then back on, the car starts up, including once whilst the car was rolling at approx 40 mph.

Any ideas please ??

·
Registered
64 Posts
The light is the glow plug warning light
This light should come on briefly when you insert the key before you start the engine
Try it

This suggests a fuel system fault
Looks like you will be needing a new set of injector pipes
Book the car into Ford, and get ready to hand over £300

·
MEG Corporal
533 Posts
That's commonly called "Limp mode" and the engine management system light (for that is what is really is) will illuminate when the system senses a possible malfunction and shuts down to protect itself. The only response is a visit to your local stealer, I regret. Sometimes an injector recallibration/software update will do the trick.

·
Registered
72 Posts
May be nothing at all. The heater coil warning light flashes to warn of a possible problem with the fuel system, including spurious and intermitent faults. You need to take it to a Ford main dealer, mine was cured by resetting the PCU, about £70 I think if you have to pay. Power steering goes when the engine dies because the vacuum pump is driven off of the engine, no vaccum no power assisted steering or breaking. Strongly advise against turning the ignition off when you are rolling because that will engage the the steering lock............ :headshake: :headshake: :headshake:

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
The only way of finding out what this is would be to take it to someone who can read the fault codes (i.e. Ford). It could be a number of sensors that is tripping out from a fault somewhere in the injection system or crank sensor.

The fact that its not actually going into limp mode which restricts further damage, but just totally cutting out means you should get this sorted immediately, as you said its very dangerous.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
can a Jaguar garage read and programme the tdci? I know it's got the same engine as the x-Type...

·
Little Megger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the replies thus far.

The car is at my local Ford at the mo and they have called me to say that nothing shows up on diagnostics.

They have recommended an ECU re-programme and replacement of the cam sensor at a total of approx £70.

Does this seem a fair charge or should some of this be FOC ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.