Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Little Megger
26 Posts
My Mk3 TDCI 130 wont start!!!
Turn key, glow plug light goes out, when you crank it over glow plug light flashes until you stop cranking over, it only had a service last week at my local garage, and am a bit reluctant to spend 67.50 at Frauds to plug into their diagnostic machine if i can avoid it plus it means the hassle of getting recovery to get there!!!
Anyone have an idea what it might be?

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
Just found a little more info on stepping through the fault codes..........
I think you have to press the oddometer button to step through each test.

To get the info up you press the oddometer button and hold it then turn the ignition on then release the button

#.1..Gauge sweep.
#.GAGE.
#.Tachometer, speedometer, temperature and fuel.
#.All gauges go through a full up and down pointer sweep smoothness check, which takes approximately 5 seconds.

#.2..Fill in all LCD.
#.8888.
#.LCD display built into Speedometer.
#.Fills in LCD display therefore seeing if display functioning correctly.

#.3..Indicator bulbs.
#.BULB.
#.Instrument cluster illuminates indicator and warning indicators.
#.Illuminates all the warning indicators that are controlled by the instrument cluster.

#.4..ROM level.
#.rXXX.
#.Instrument cluster read only memory (ROM).
#.Displays the instrument cluster ROM revision level.

#.5..NVM level.
#.EXXX.
#.Instrument cluster non volatile memory (NVM).
#.Displays the instrument cluster NVM revision.

#.6..DTC.
#.XXXX or NONE.
#.Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
#.To list the DTCs stored, press the RESET button.
..REFER to the instrument cluster diagnostic trouble code (DTC) index below.
..The DTC codes will scroll through if there is more than one.

·
Little Megger
26 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help.
Guess what? lo and behold it started on thurs morn after spending 2Hrs Weds night tring to start the fooker!!!, and surprise surprise Frauds charged me £79 and told me " we couldn't find anything wrong sir as there was no fault found when we plugged in our dianostic machine"!!! And when i asked if they had done any updates or reset the ECU they said Yes (really!!!!)
I'm sorry but what happened to engineers being able to use their brains rather than relying on a computer to tell them what to do??!!
Still it seemed to be ok till Fri when i drove home from work, then after driving for 5mins, my little friendly light flashed again as it cut out and i had to pull over. Funny thing though is that it restarted straight away. Till Sun, when my Mrs was a bit peeved when it died again while she was at work!!!!! and again by the time id got there (bout 20mins) it again started fine!
Still no idea what it is as when i go into the Diag mode on the dash just says NONE under the dtc heading (and no stored codes!).
Unless the garage has not tightened something up properly when they did the service just under 2 weeks ago?
I really dont want to keep spending £80 for those Fraud numpties to tell me theres nothing wrong
Any more ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
how about a word with ford customer services and see what they say about the dealer , they were spot on with me when i had a problem that the dealer was useless with :thumbup:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
ford customer relationship centre 0845 841 1111 , i think that is the one i used :thumbup:

·
Big Megger
209 Posts
Sounds like you have a fault on either the cam sensor or the fuel rail pressure sensor. There are TSB's out for both on 03 TDCi's - the cam sensor sounds more likely as it's difficult to start, fuel rail sensor tends to cause very random cutting out with immediate restart.

Cure the problem not the symptom!

·
Little Megger
26 Posts
Ok thanks, how much does it cost to rectify, if you have any idea? Its just that its more intermittent, its now weds and its been fine since sunday, that said i have a theory that they might not have bled the fuel system properly when it was serviced (bout 3 days before it started playing up) and its blown all the air through now, but ill have to wait to see if it dies again.
If it does, as you say it might be as you said. But cheers for your help guys!

·
Little Megger
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Result!!, spoke to fords (again!), they have booked the car in on the 21st Dec so they can keep the car until the fault becomes apparent again. they're also not gonna charge me a second time for diagnostics just the rectification work. Will post again later after they come back with a diagnosis. Thanks once again for all the advice ive received here, it has been invaluable! :L

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I pre-emptively got my aboslutely-fine cam position sensor changed on my car last Tuesday as the car is now 4 1/2 years old with 63k miles on.

The flashing glow plug light came on 4 times after than and I was left stranded waiting for it to let me restart! :mad: Went back to the garage on Friday and they read off the fault codes to confirm it was the sensor so we looked at what they'd done and it turned out they hadn't renewed the wiring to the loom. They did the work FOC and also gave me a car to run around in in the meantime :thumbup:

3 days and 150 miles later and the problem still hasn't reoccurred so fingers crossed it's fixed :D

Chris

·
Little Megger
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I asked about the wiring on mine, they 'had a play' with it (exact words!!) and it seemed fine and the car has been fine ever since (luckily!) though the wiring is only about £14 i believe?
Still glad its not a pain anymore!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
A little update on mine after the wiring was changed .... was perfect for 4 days and then started cutting out all the time again. Same fault code logged :(

The local indy basically told me to go away and take it to Ford to fix, and as I needed the car for the weekend, Hendy Ford in Winchester squeezed me in on Thursday and fitted a new Camshaft Position Sensor. Cost me £55 but the service was excellent and the car has been rock-solid reliable again since :D

Moral of the story, if it ain't broke, don't pi55 about with it :}

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.