Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
My 2.0 Tdci estate needs new front shocks. Normally I wouldn;t think twice about doing it myself but the haynes manual states you must lower the subframe to seperate the lower ball joint and get the strut out, I'm concerned about alignement and how easy (or difficult it is).
Ford have quoted me 2 hours labour to do it which I dont feel is long enough to lower the subframe so I think it must be possible to do it another way. The manual says you musn't lever downwards on the lower wishbone to get the strut out because it will damage the 'hydrabush' at the rear of the wishbone. Has enyone of you changed mk
3 struts b4

Rich

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
it says the same for the mk1/mk2 mondei i believe but you dont have to you just have to get the ball joint out of the bottom of the hub then you can easily lower the hub to allow room for the strut to come out.

·
MEG Corporal
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I've done mk1's before, no problem. but every manual I've read stresses you 'MUST NOT' lever down on the wishbone to seperate the bottom joint because 'IT WILL; damage the hydra bush in the rear of the wish bone. Mk 1's and 2's have rubber bushes, Mk 3's are completely different. I dont want to risk damaging the bush and having to lower the subframe to replace the wishbones as well. I was thinking that if I compressed the springs with the strut still on the car I might be able to compress the struts far enough to get them out.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
good old idea, unfortunately useless and dangerous. have thought about undoing the wishbone's bolts from the frame then?
just a thought.
i don't know what exactly is the story with mk3.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.