Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Megger
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A friend has a ropey 2003 Mk3 Diesel Automatic which keeps stalling!

The garage said the Glow Plugs are ropey and need changing. They quoted about £100 for it though saying the manifold has to come off.

Is this right (and a fair price)

I dont know anything of the layout but I assumed they were the same as spark plugs and came out the same.

Thanks for any replies

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
sounds a bit extreme for glow plugs!

also the mk3's dont rely on glow plugs to start they work on a high pressure system and glow plugs are only usually needed in extreme tems of -18c so i dont think your glow plugs are the problem

i think there is a pre heater on these engines im not 100% sure on that though but i would expect that would be a more likely cause if anything.

·
Megger
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply totalguy.

A bit more info.

He said it starts up fine from cold.

If he turns it off after only a couple of minutes it is a bugger to start again.

If it has warmed up there is no problem restarting.

The stalling occurs at any time, even when warm, the engine just shuts down leaving him stranded.

The glow plug lights flashes. I told him how to check for fault codes using the trip counter thingy and he said there are no fault codes.

Like I said, the garage said it's the glow plugs. He is just a bit concerned (and so was I ) about paying so much for something which sounds an easy job.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
just something to remember that the speedo wont show all the fault codes for the car the glow plug light flashing thing i dont know much about but i would get it plugged in see if theres any fault codes i know its about 70 quid or something which is a bit much but i dont think its glow plugs

maybe someone else might come along and give you some other idea's im guessing it must be a tdci seen as its a 2003 model anyway.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
yeah thats a good idea to start it may not solve the problem but atleast it will be cleaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.