Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Little Megger
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the car making a bit or a rumble from the rear today. Checked the car and saw the rear nearside disc glowing cherry red!

called the RAC out and they said the cable for this wheel was stuck. They could not free it up enough for it to work reliably so disconnected the handbrake cable from that caliper so I could get home.

Is the handbrake cable a two piece unit or one?
The caliper is free but is there anything other than the cable that can sieze? The Offside works ok.

How much is a cable and how much will it cost to be fitted?

Thanks for your help.

·
MEG Corporal
623 Posts
My 2001 failed the last MOT because of a sticky handbrake cable. Looking underneath the car the lines that the cables ran in were corroded to hell.

I think the quote I got from a Ford garage was £180.

There's one for each side and you have to take part of the exhaust system off (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Had it done under warranty in the end.

Mine had a self adjusting cable and I believe Ford now recommend a manual system on it, that's why the quote was so expensive!

·
Back in England.......
18,700 Posts
I had both cables and the handbrake handle assembly replaced last week for about £180 ish. I 'had' to have the handle replaced as the prev owner had bodged it up so it wasn't safe :headshake: I looked at the invoice and it was about £33 plus vat per cable (theres 2 of them) and I think about 1.8 hours labour. The handle was summat like £45 (fitted)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.