Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top two bars on my rear window have never worked, and so when it's frosty the high level brake light isn't really visible.

I noticed yesterday that there is a metal 'cap' which looks like one of the terminals on a 9v battery on the inside of the window, where you remove the high level brake light cover.

I metered this and it is the connection/supply for the top 2 bars of the window, however there is no connection on the wiring loom in my car.

I stripped the trim out of the boot (losing the little plug to hold the parcel shelf strap clip) and soldered a length of 1.5mm mains flex (just one core) onto the tag that supplies the rest of the window, then wrapped the other end around the cap at the top of the screen and soldered this too.

It tested fine yesterday, I made sure that the solder joints were good and the cable was thick as I wasn't sure about the amount of current it would take.

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
37 Posts
We noticed this on our 2004 Mk3 and the local garage even replaced the window under the warranty. After that didn't fix it Ford HQ told us that the two top lines are infact for a mobile phone installation and the connector is for the antenna.

Hope this helps.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
so ............. assuming the second post is correct , you have managed to turn a mobile phone aerial into a heating element :D :D :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh well, I thought it was a good idea at the time :blush:

I was wondering why the bar only wrapped around one side of the screen and the brake light :doh:

As long as it keeps working I'll leave it as is; we're never going to fit a hands-free kit in there anyway.

I would however say that this is a silly mistake on my part and don't advise anybody else to do it!

Cheers,

A somewhat embarrased Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.