Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Little Megger
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mk3 headlights are completely crap when on dipped beam so bad i nearly drive off the side of the road when other cars are coming the other way! Good full-beam but obviously cant keep them on! What upgraded bulbs are available for it?

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
my mk3 headlights as standard are in my opinion very good , i assume your night vision is ok , it might be worth going to the opticians to get your eyes checked out :whistling: :tongue: :D :D

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
the pair of mk3 headlights i used for the blackeyes mod was very dangerous in the light output stakes at first ( i got many a horn blast from cars behind me when driving very slow down country lanes ( even with the full beam on it was poor )

i adjusted the buggers myself in the end as i stuck some philips vision plus bulbs in and it made very little difference, i just parked near a wall & using the little adjustment screws on the top of the headlight under the bonnet i raised the levels ever so slightly on both sides of the car & then went for a test drive.

adjusted them in small amounts at each side like above a few times till i was happy with the light given off & then left it at that for a while to see if i get flashed at ( which upto now i have not - even followed a few guys from MEG coming back from meets etc & they have said nothing to me ) they also sailed through the MOT about a month or so ago.

but you could always get an MOT station to adjust them to the MAX of the range your allowed and then you will know for sure they are legal.

( silly thought time here so dont shout at me, is the headlight level control roller thingy set to 0 and not somat like 3 or 4 as that can make the light output crap unless you have alot of weight in the boot )

·
Little Megger
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My eyesight is perfect. I work on the railway so my eyesight is checked every year :tongue:
And yes the headlight level adjusters are at 0. I also drive an old mk3 cavalier, and the dipped beam on it puts the mondeo to shame. Like i say, full beam is great but dipped is terrible. I just wondered if there was higher wattage bulb available for the mk3?

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
confused now as i find the mk3 headlights as standard to be very good indeed :L

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
the ones on my 2001 mk3 when i purchased it were fantastic compared with my previous mk1 but the headlights purchased from a local scrappers from a newer mondy were pitiful with the exact same bulbs as the old lights & even after uprated bulbs went in they were still poor.

they are great now they have had the alignment raised manually ( loads of light on the road & can see signs lit up much sooner etc ) & they still passed the MOT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.