Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Yesterday went out for a blast in the 220, selected heaters once engine was warm and all it did was blow cold with the heater selected hot.
Stopped turned the eng off waited restarted teh engine and it was all working fine again
Tried it today and again no problem

Has anybody else had this or has anybody got any info on this problem

Cheers :L

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Dont know, but mine was not blowing any hot air today either :annoyed:

·
Megger
106 Posts
This sounds like a similar problem my Mrs had with her Fiesta. There is a kind of valve (name escapes me at the moment) which moves when you turn the heater dial. It mixes the air from outside to the heat coming from the engine.

It sounds like the valve has got stuck in the cold (air from outside position)

It had to go into Fords and didn't take very long to fix.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That’s right. If you ask me this is the most common problem with mondeo. I read about it on many places on the web, I have exactly the same problem and my friend has it too, unfortunately I couldn’t find the reason for this problem and this is very strange because it is so common but nobody knows what is wrong with it.
So does anyone knows what needs to be fixed, changed or whatever to cure this, this is so irritating.
I’m sorry English is not my mother language so I probably made a lot off grammar errors.
Regards!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had this with the EATC in my MK3.

Firstly I cleaned all the dust and crud from the interior air temperature sensor (behind the little vents on the cowling below the steering wheel.

Secondly I replaced the sensor.

Thirdly I set the EATC to manual and all seems fine!

·
Megger
106 Posts
This is from this site I found yesterday, seems to be relevant to only one year but I hope it helps :-

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=ford_mondeo_common_problems_and_solutions

Ford Mondeo 2002
Problem: Only cold air from heater even on hot setting.
Solution: This year Mondeo is known to suffer from a sticking temperature flap in the heater housing. The solution is to use a torx T50 and free the temperature flap.

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
This was really bugging the hell out me yesterday. I leave mine on auto all the time, driving down the motorway in a t-shirt and temp at 22, then it starts blowing cold air! I have to put it up to Hi to fix it.

Does anyone know what the temperature flap looks like or how to get to it?

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
Here's what the disc were not supposed to have says about it :L ( also stuck in a couple of piccies for the sections 8 & 9 ( remove if it breaks any site rules etc )

Left-hand drive vehicles

µ 1. Detach the damper from the glove compartment.
1 Open the glove compartment.
2 Push the top of the damper away from the glove compartment.

µ 2. Fully open the glove compartment.
Press the sides towards the centre to release the glove compartment.

µ 3. Remove the glove compartment.
Release the hinges.

Right-hand drive vehicles

µ 4. Remove the driver side lower footwell trim (three clips).

µ 5. Remove the instrument panel lower panel.
1 Remove the retaining bolts.
2 Release the retaining clips.

All vehicles

6. Start the engine and operate the A/C system for 10 minutes with the following settings:
l A/C button on,
l temperature setting to fully cold,
l blower position 1,
l air distribution to the footwell.

7. Switch off the engine.

µ 8. Remove the temperature flap positioning motor.
l Disconnect the electrical connector.
l Remove three Torx bolts.

µ 9. Use a Torx T50 socket wrench to free the sticking temperature flap.
l Insert the Torx T50 socket wrench into the mounting for the positioning motor and turn the temperature flap to the left-hand stop until the flap moves freely.
l Then turn the flap to the right-hand stop using a maximum torque of 3 Nm to the stop.
l Then turn the flap to the left-hand stop until it moves freely again.
l Repeat the process to loosen the temperature flap 10 times.

µ 10. Install the temperature flap actuator motor.
l Install three Torx bolts.
l Connect the electrical connector.

11. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Initialise the A/C system.

12. Initialise the A/C system.

Note:
Switch off the ignition.

l Remove fuse F65 from the central junction box (CJB) for at least 20 seconds.
l Install fuse F65.
l Switch on the ignition. The A/C system initialises itself automatically within one minute.

13. Check the operation of the A/C system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've suffered the same symptoms before! once it would only blow hot, the other cool! on both occasions a Climate reset was all that was needed!

How to do that is posted here somewhere.

Edit:

Breifly press both the "Off" & "Footwell" buttons & release, Press "Auto" button & release!
the system will run a self diagnostic - testing all segments of the display & Flap motors! Once the motors fall silent & display freezes! Press the "Defrost" button to reset the system, delete error codes from memory & exit diag mode! wait til the system again falls silent before running up to temperature & testing system. All of this takes around a minute to complete.

thanks to Istvan

original post here!

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Thanks guys, I will try a reset first :L

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
:eek:fftopic: disc? what disc?

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
So far so good with the reset :L

·
Registered
621 Posts
compuwiz_uk said:
Here's what the disc were not supposed to have says about it :L ( also stuck in a couple of piccies for the sections 8 & 9 ( remove if it breaks any site rules etc )

Left-hand drive vehicles

µ 1. Detach the damper from the glove compartment.
1 Open the glove compartment.
2 Push the top of the damper away from the glove compartment.

µ 2. Fully open the glove compartment.
Press the sides towards the centre to release the glove compartment.

µ 3. Remove the glove compartment.
Release the hinges.

Right-hand drive vehicles

µ 4. Remove the driver side lower footwell trim (three clips).

µ 5. Remove the instrument panel lower panel.
1 Remove the retaining bolts.
2 Release the retaining clips.

All vehicles

6. Start the engine and operate the A/C system for 10 minutes with the following settings:
l A/C button on,
l temperature setting to fully cold,
l blower position 1,
l air distribution to the footwell.

7. Switch off the engine.

µ 8. Remove the temperature flap positioning motor.
l Disconnect the electrical connector.
l Remove three Torx bolts.

µ 9. Use a Torx T50 socket wrench to free the sticking temperature flap.
l Insert the Torx T50 socket wrench into the mounting for the positioning motor and turn the temperature flap to the left-hand stop until the flap moves freely.
l Then turn the flap to the right-hand stop using a maximum torque of 3 Nm to the stop.
l Then turn the flap to the left-hand stop until it moves freely again.
l Repeat the process to loosen the temperature flap 10 times.

µ 10. Install the temperature flap actuator motor.
l Install three Torx bolts.
l Connect the electrical connector.

11. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Initialise the A/C system.

12. Initialise the A/C system.

Note:
Switch off the ignition.

l Remove fuse F65 from the central junction box (CJB) for at least 20 seconds.
l Install fuse F65.
l Switch on the ignition. The A/C system initialises itself automatically within one minute.

13. Check the operation of the A/C system.
Tried this at the weekend as still having problems with mine...

The flap wasn't stuck, so I tried a reset and hopefully this will sort it as there's no error codes showing up on the panel.

Doing a long journey at the weekend, so we'll see what happens (probably freeze then boil, freeze then boil, etc.).

Nick

·
3 Posts
Have you tried swapping motors on the heater box .There are three motors that are all the same. If you swap the bottom two over ( bottom one is the blend motor that mixes hot and cold air) with the one directly above it, this will prove if it is the motor at fault or not.
Before doing a reset on the system by removing fuse F65 make sure you have run the system with settings recommended above as the system will reset to fully cold when you put the fuse back in and everything has to be in that position for it to work correctly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.