Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got car back from the garage i had new shocks fitted and i supplied PI springs 30mm lower the front looks ok its definately a bit lower but the back looks like a 4x4.

im a newbie to lowering never had a car lowered before, i think they need to be bedded in so to speak? i think iread that somewhere, im just a bit weary incase they put the wrong springs in the wrong places I.E. fronts on back backs on front, is this possible?

other than that the car drives spot on!!!!

its more comfortable thats for sure ford should have had them like this from the factory!!! goes round corners a lot better no apparent body roll any more so im happy about that, no probs with speed bumps i checked that and i erm flew over one a bit fast :whistling: but it was fine.

any advice or info anyone can give me please?

thanks in advance.

·
F.T.M.
688 Posts
the car should be sitting approx. level imo.
pi springs are at the cheap end of the scale and may need time to settle,i used them once on my old sapphire cosworth and had to take them out due to settling too far.the eibach kit may have cost a couple of quid more but they make the car sit level with the matched shocks the kit would cost approx 450.iirc the springs cant be mixed front/ back.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as i was aware pi have been good long lasting springs so i was told by a few people unlike stuf like spax ang gmax i would put PI in mid range myself thats why i bought them. I could have got a full koni kit for less than £450 if i did have that much to spend id have gone for koni over eibach myself.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new monroe gas shocks not sport shocks though but icouldnt get ford ones unless i went to the dealers, ill take some pics later.

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
Hope the gas shocks are shortened - if not they won't last long due to being sat over compressed all the time. I found out the hard way

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
according to PI shorter shocks arent applicable for 30mm lower but they are for their 50mm kit for mk3 they suggest u get shortnened ones

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the passenger side seems less than an inch higher than the drivers side i mesured from top of wheelarch accross both axles :( may be less than an inch but it definately looks like more.

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Very odd.

How long has it been now? How many miles have you done?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not many maybe 30 lol. leighroy (see post in multimedia) said his took over a week till it settled i only had it done saturday.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i think its better i did take it back though due to the wheel not being centred and i said the back was high they adjusrted it somehow and it seems lower although id preffer a bit lower (but then i might have clearance and geometry problems i expect) i think its about even front and back now this is just over a week later and ive maybe done 30-40 miles since i had it done.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I ran some Eibachs on my last car and the car took about a week/400 miles to settle in. The back was slightly higher than the front and it turned out the person who'd ordered them for me had ordered the estate rear springs :whistling:

As said, give it a little while and they should all have an even drop.

Out of interest, how much were the PI's? I fancy stiffening my car up a bit :}

Chris

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well apparently theyre labeled on each spring and they were defo for hatchback they cost me £107 inc delivery i didnt get charged for fitting them as they were suplying shocks anyway so they would have had to fit springs.

unless your cars a fair bit under 100k id get shocks too if its under it should be fine i been told by a few people finding using shocks that been on a car over 100k even if theyre seemingly fine have failed in 20-30k so its worth thinking about, i suppose you would get ur moneys worth if you still used the shocks that were on there but mines done 117k now i thought better safe than sorry.

30mm lower i can still go up high kerbs and stuff no problems its a much better drive than it was.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
id just go for springs then, PI are good imo many people on here have used them well before me without any problems thats why i went for them. Didnt fancy the cheap stuff like gmax or spax ive heard bad things about them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.