Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i was wondering i am going to be changing all four of my springs soon and also the shocks

just decided to start again with the suspension because i plan on keeping the car for another 2 years till i save a good bit of money for a nearly new car i have 4k saved and was going to go for a car a few months back but i thought why not just save 11k and go for something decent and keep it till the first mot then sell it.

anyway i decided to change.

1. track rod ends
  2. anti rollbar links
  3. subframe bushes(need changed)(poly)
  4. rollbar bushes(poly)
  5. 4 shocks
  6. 4 springs
  7. any mounts or bushes to do with the struts

what i am wondering is there anything else i am missing?

and what is the best ammount to lower the car by? i dont want it scraping off the ground! i had a focus i bought already lowered i dont know by how much but it looked great although when i went to big speed bumps it was murder!

i just want it a bit lower and stiffer but not so much it scrapes! is 30mm ok? or can i go lower without issues? and also are there any better shocks i can get for the car? i have had a good look but i cant seem to find anything but standard shock absorbers,i would like something a bit stiffer for handling

I HAVE included a few pics of my old focus (not great quallity as there from google earth as i dont have any pics)

i want it to look like that roughly (has 16 inch alloys in this picture)

i really liked that car it was a 51 plate it was only 6 years old when i had it and beleive it or not i only paid £1500 for the car! it was 7 years old in this picture,the car was perfect i got it running on 3 cylinders the guy thought the car was needing a new engine!

you know what was wrong! someone had spilled oil down in the hole where one of the spark plugs was! i could not figure out what was wrong till i tried to change the plugs and found a pool of oil around one of them! i sat with blue roll and dried it up and never had any more issues!

sold the car to my dad he bloody wrecked it! hit a badger for one,burnt the seats and ruined the underneath because i told him not to go upto the race course near my house where horses are because it had too large speedbumps( but as usuall my dad is always rite and he ripped the exaust off a few times by going up there!) Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

Attachments

·
Megger
158 Posts
Eibach is the preferred spring choice.

That will take you down 40mm and are fine on standard shocks as they are a Ford approved upgrade.

You can get upgraded shocks from Koni and Bilstein - see motorsportworld on the internet.

On a previous Mk3 I had PI -50mm springs and Bilstein B8 shocks which cost A LOT - 1 shock was £180 IIRC which at that price when you cost it out you'd be better going for coilovers.

TBH the 50mm setup didn't look much lower than the Eibach setup despite it costing £450ish more in parts.

If I were you I'd just fit the Eibach springs and only if your standard shocks have had it (what mileage are they on?), 4 new standard shocks as well.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my shocks are due to be replaced i am not sure what miles they are on,when i do the springs i am definately chagning the shocks for brand new ones.

one of them is leaking bad at the back just now and i think the other one is ready to do the same thing so they really need to be changed!

so you recon 40mm?

i know the picture is not great but how much do you recon that focus was lowered by? it had 16 inch alloys and low profile tyres i cant remember the size though

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know anything about focus' tbh so couldn't say.

Here my old Mondeo on the 50mm spring/b8 shocks though;

IMG_20120324_154554.jpg

And my new one on 40mm eibachs;

20140304_175041_zps85e94ee8.jpg

Not much in it.
so whats your ground clearance like?

do you ever bottom out or hit things like speed bumps?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts