Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Little Megger
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do all,

Just a quick question.
Whilst getting my MK3 Ghia X serviced, the mechanic mentioned that the brakes had become lipped and I could do with getting them sorted by the next service.

Now, I'm thinking of Blue finning the baby and whacking on Michy boots, so was kinda thinking if it was...

a) worth giving her some decent brakes
b) what sort (maybe ST220) ones unless they are the same??!!

Any general opinions welcomed.

oh, I'm not particulary mechanically minded just thinking along the lines of If I go fast I sure as hell want to stop fast and safley if I need to.
-Zipster

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
The brakes are the same,the disc's are the same dia.
You can sort of up grade the disc's to a groved
type and fit some quality pads,that should give you better stoping power,for when you are flying
down the Snake Pass. :whistling:
But a serious upgrade can be done ,PT GHIAXMAN,
he has done his brakes up to a fantastic spec,probably the best set of brakes you will ever
see on a MK3 Mondeo. :woot:
What model Ghia x do you have.

·
Little Megger
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KAZUYADOG,

Cheers for the info. Seems all do-able which is ace.

Being a localish man yourself, you know all too well the snake then, and the potential for booting up the hills and how the brakes can take a beating coming down it.

The mention of the Snake did raise a titter with me.

Any how, mines a TDCi 130ps Ghia-X. Its gota a nice 6 gogged box which comes in wey handy when applying some notion when a Beamer driver decides to get frisky and be a complete tit behind.

It gets paid off in Jan so for me, its time to start making some mods.

I'll try and check out PT GhiaxMan's brakes if I can search for him in the forum.

:L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
dont know about the brakes , but .......... see if you can get some avon zz3's , i have had them on mine for a bit and they are the mutts nuts , and very reasonably priced as well :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Which way do you prefer it,Sheffield end to
Manchester,or the other way around.
I like it both ways. :whistling: :gayfight:
Do you know why it's called the Snake.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
I would'nt argue with that description,you certainly have to be on the ball,on there more
so when it's dark.
Now another bit of trivia,you know the other
trans pennine road that links Sheffield with
Manchester,the Woodhead pass,why is that called
the Woodhead. :question:

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Your on the right lines,have another go.

Here's a seasonal one, how
many letters are there in the alphabet. :ponder:

·
Little Megger
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okey Cokey....

Apparently the snake is called coz....

[color:blue]The stretch of the A57 that cuts across the Peak District, linking Sheffield and Manchester, and built by Thomas Telford in 1820, is one of the most strikingly beautiful roadways in the country. It meanders among bleak, steep valley sides for miles, with scarcely any evidence of human settlement for much of the way. Vertiginous drops to one side are common and, in winter, it is quite usual for the road to become impassable because of snowfalls.

It is named not for its serpentine twistiness, but after a pub called the Snake Inn, which is one of the few buildings along its highest stretch (well over 1600ft above sea level).
[/color]
:whistling:

My personal way is Manchester to Sheff, drilling pass Doctors gate and onto the stretch of road which straightens out up onto Lady Bower.

You can get some good clear cornering going down the hills and have perfect visibility of the road for a reet reel test of you mota.
:driving:
As to why the Woodhead is called so...I have no idea, what I do know is when the white stuff comes its the last road to get closed.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
do a bit of research and try kirkstone pass in the lake district , now that is a mans road if ever there was one ;) :L

·
Little Megger
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ohhhhh yesh.....

twas pass there about 5 months ago on holiday.
Ambelside way???

I seem to rememebr a nice pub at the brow of the hill also. Cant remember its name (probably something obvious like The Kurkstone or summat)

And yup, thats a beauty of a road/hill/mountain/brake & nerve tester!

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Ah i often wondered which came first the pub or the road,a good long while ago i can remember going to a works xmas dinner there,what sticks
out in my mind i took ages for the coach to get us there and you could'nt tell where in hell you
were cos it was so dark.
That part of the Snake towards Ladybower is a
great piece of tarmac,but beware going round the last bend before the lights too quick,traffic backs up when the lights are on red,and the bend
is blind,it nearly caught me out once.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
thats it , Kirkstone Pass Inn , from there back down to ullswater is the best way :L

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Just fit some good pads, Mine stops really well with mintex rear pads and mintex extreme front pads, The discs are std

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.