Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dude
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Having now got LPG fitted to my Mondeo my starting problem is back.
When i was just on petrol i was able to stop the car and turning the engine off just tap the accelerator and the car would start fine next time.
Now i'm on LPG the car shuts down on LPG and when i come to start it it struggles to start? I read about this problem but can not find it on MEG.

Is there a fix from ford now does any one know or is it a trip to the dealers?

·
Big Megger
176 Posts
Hi,

The advice Ford gave me on how to stop the car is actually to cut the ignition then immediately press the accelerator down half way and hold it there for 5 seconds. That said, my 1.8 (which runs on Petrol) needs only a short tap.

If it was fine before the LPG conversion but not after it, I'd recommend going back to whoever did the conversion.

Good luck,

MarkSpace.

·
Dude
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, Should have explained better.

The problem Was there before i got LPG, But because im on LPG now the car shuts down on LPG and i cant tap the gas pedle as LPG will enter the engien rather then petrol.

what I'm after is is there a proper fix for this?

·
Big Megger
176 Posts
I believe this is correct, but I'm not a mechanic. I'm assuming that, even after the LPG conversion, the car is still electronically fuel injected.

The fuel injectors are electronically controlled so, regardless of the fuel type, they can't let in any fuel once the ignition is off. So, pressing the accelerator just after the ignition is turned off can only allow the engine to suck in more air. I believe this extra air dilutes the (excess) exhaust gas in the air inlet, making the engine easier to start next time.

It would still be worth asking the garage that did the conversion before doing this (just as I asked Ford to get this info for my unconverted petrol Mondy) because it's not exactly a normal way to stop a car :) Don't want to hurt anything etc.

MarkSpace.

·
Big Megger
372 Posts
the mk3 egr is electronically controlled, and cannot be disconnected. Pressing the accelerator pedal with the engine off will not allow either petrol or LPG to enter the cylinders. All it will do is open the butterfly on the throttle body, which will allow the exhaust gases to escape.

Rich :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.