Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My Fuel tank was removed, needed to clean everything for injector rebuild and new fuel pump to be installed. Putting everything back together (had to take my car out of the shop, they did practically nothing for 3weeks... So trying to finish everything correctly by my self)

Question is pretty dumb I guess.
Is this a correct position for this white thing? (Sorry English not my first language) Looks too loose for me, it moves.

What is a specific purpose for it?

I tried to find some info, couldn't find it.

Also sorry if I created a post in a wrong category, couldn't find similar topics for fuel system to post it.

P.s. I have this ford for 12 years now, still goes strong (well, not at the moment :D)

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Plumbing Pipe

·
Super Moderator
31,290 Posts
Assume its a Mondeo? Let me know if its something else.

·
Super Moderator
31,290 Posts
Doesn't look right, 90º out? Rotate 90º will it push in further? Is there a seal, small amount of rubber grease may help it seat
although they can swell making refitting difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Doesn't look right, 90º out? Rotate 90º will it push in further? Is there a seal, small amount of rubber grease may help it seat
although they can swell making refitting difficult.

Yes, the white "thing" can go much further in, basically it can set on top of the metal "crown" at the top part of the fuel tank but, the white "thing" looks like it has its place there's cut offs in the metal holder so as I understand it should lock in, in those specific places. If I will
White Yellow Font Kitchen appliance Headgear

turn it, growes will go to the solid part of that metal crown, so it defeats the purpose of a lock, so it got me little confused. It's kind a loose, i can turn it in when they're in those hole. There is a seal which goes more narrow deeper in the fuel tank. Added pic for a visual, it shows how this part should be removed, but not sure if those gaps are correct and it just jiggle around freely, but not enough to go out of those holes. It's kind of okey, but not ok at the same time :D

·
Little Megger
4,730 Posts
Hi, I know that Rekusu did a tank drop and clean out and took pics, so he might respond with some advice.

Reactions: R.V.

·
Megger
2,647 Posts
Been there done that. Unfortunately, no specific photos of the fuel tank filler pipe.

Attached is a pdf of my tank dropping and refitting. Pages 3 and 4 give details of what I did. I don't recall the details now but I seem to think that I did not have the tank bolted in place. The tank can move a bit but the filler pipe is fixed. Undo the four tank strap mounting bolts to allow the tank to hang but have some movement to align the filler.

When it is correctly aligned, it all just 'snaps' into place and I would imagine, there should be no movement as this should be a fuel tight seal. I used a bit of washing up liquid as a lubricant for re-fitting and it did make life easier. As my notes say, took a long time to remove but went back together very easily.

Attachments

·
Megger
2,647 Posts
Having just surfaced from under the car to check the rear suspension arms, I also took a photo of my filler pipe where it fits into the tank.

Automotive tire Musical instrument Rim Gas Machine

This is how mine looks when full locked in place.

·
I Love Diesel
2,479 Posts
Useful photo. It's a strange design to me, because none of the plastic bits really seem to match up with the metal collar.

·
Megger
2,647 Posts
If you have read my notes, I had a difficult time removing the filler from the tank because i assumed the white collar was part of the plastic tank and the filler pipe went inside. In fact, the white collar is attached to the filler pipe and locks into the top of the tank.

Because is should be fuel tight, there is not a lot of tolerance in the fitting. A bit of washing up liquid to lubricate and the tank kinda hanging on the straps, and there should be sufficient 'wiggle room' to get the filler lined up with the tank and they suddenly, slide together. Then turning the collar to lock is easy.

Alternatively, and I may have done this, support the tank with a trolley jack (use a piece of wood to spread the load), and this gives enough clearance to get the opening and the filler lined up. When locked in place, raise the trolley jack to fit the straps and bolts.

Looking at my photo, I now wonder if the filler is not fitted correctly. Perhaps the tabs on the white ring should be fitting in the lower part of the black collar? All I know is it is not loose and does not leak!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts