Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the thermostat on the Mk3 Mondeo?
Ford seems only to sell the complete housing/thermostat at an extra terrible price, and to install I think the best way to gain access is through the removal of the RH headlamp.
Am I missing something, is there another way?

·
Megger
182 Posts
No your not missing anything. Not too bad a job, half to an hour or so to do. Although small hands help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Do I also use a sealant or just rely on the rubber seal on the new housing?
Unfortunately I have big hands and doing the removal reminded me to buy a smaller locking pliers for expanding spring hose clips!
The old thermostat had broken the internal brackets that held the spring compressed, maybe the problem, I don't know.

·
Megger
182 Posts
I didn't use any sealant, rightly or wrongly but no leaks. Make sure the matting face is clean and not pitted first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All done, thanks for the help.
Great design for removal of headlight and grille, shame about the placement of the stat and the COST.
$10 stat for my MX5, and $350 for the Mondeo, go figure.

·
MEG Corporal
1,112 Posts
I must change the thermostat in my Mk3, is it possible to replace the cover without the thermostat inside? I can then fit an inline thermostat on the coolant outlet to the engine.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
jojonz said:
All done, thanks for the help.
Great design for removal of headlight and grille, shame about the placement of the stat and the COST.
$10 stat for my MX5, and $350 for the Mondeo, go figure.
ok , so the exchange rate is about 3:1 but £115 odd pounds for a stat :sad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Micky said:
I must change the thermostat in my Mk3, is it possible to replace the cover without the thermostat inside? I can then fit an inline thermostat on the coolant outlet to the engine.
Not sure, have a read of this quote:
"Duratec HE also pioneers an electronic thermostat, which contributes positively to both fuel economy and wide-open-throttle performance. Unlike traditional thermostats, which open at one temperature threshold, the electronic thermostat is capable of opening at two temperature thresholds. An opening temperature of about 80ºC contributes to full-throttle performance, while a higher opening threshold of 98ºC optimises low-friction operation under normal driving conditions."
Another word for "expensive"!!

·
MEG Corporal
1,112 Posts
Thanks jojonz,

The 98'C is good for shopping cars, as is placing the thermostat on the coolant entry into the engine. I can't see where the bypass hose runs; when you changed the thermostat, did you see if the hose from the radiator to the thermostat branched off anywhere?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
best thing for you to do is take a look yourself.
Remove the grille and you will see two tent peg shaped pins either side of the RH headlight, remove these and you can take the headlight out. (truly a 30 sec. job!!)

·
Megger
88 Posts
Looks like my thermostat is failing too.
This mk3's electronical thermostat, is it closed and opened mechanicly by wax or is it now electronicaly managed by ecu via thermostat temperature sensor?
I'm asking this because i'd like to test mine in a pot of boiling water. But if it's electronicaly managed it won't function.

·
MEG Corporal
1,112 Posts
Hi Leo

The thermostat opens electrically at the lower temperature approx 70 and mechanically at approx 98'

The ECU instructs electrical operation when there is heavy load on the engine but it's not up to 98'.

·
Megger
88 Posts
Micky said:
Hi Leo

The thermostat opens electrically at the lower temperature approx 70 and mechanically at approx 98'

The ECU instructs electrical operation when there is heavy load on the engine but it's not up to 98'.
Thanks. Just phoned my local ford parts dealer. Costs around Ł75. Too bad my warranty expired 3 weeks ago :(. But I'll try asking for that "good will" warranty :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.