Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys,

For those who have done this, what are you long term conclusions after doing a stage 1?

Assuming it was done right by a professional.

The place I'm thinking of doing it is estimating based on their experience with these engines an increase to 185hp/450nm.

I've got the facelift 2.0 tdci.

Got it with 140hp, but immediately changed the tune to the OEM 163hp one. But I still think it could do with a bit more.

I know the engine is fine for the claimed gains, clutch...if they limit the torque for the low gears I think it should be ok....

I am still on the original clutch doing just fine at 207000km. But would the flywheel go out soon after the tune?

And what about the gearbox, from what I've read the MMT6 is rated for 450nm, is this correct? And if so, would the claimed 450nm be a problem for it?

Anything else that might drop of soon after?

All people I know that have done a stage 1 for this engine are all very please with no complaints, at least not online :))...but I'm still trying to convince myself if it's worth it.

·
Super Moderator
29,376 Posts
Define a stage 1?

Clutch and flywheel lifespan will depend on how it was driven and the journey

types. Lots of traffic light full throttle off the line and the clutch/gearbox will have

a shorter life.

If you only use full throttle after its rolling and building the revs up then the

increase will be more linear.

If its just a remap will there be a before and after run on a rolling road?

If yes then will they leave it in place or will they take it off and put it back?

I ask that because there are little tricks then can do to get higher power figures.

I think they can let the car climb onto the roller which reads higher figures?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Define a stage 1?

Clutch and flywheel lifespan will depend on how it was driven and the journey

types. Lots of traffic light full throttle off the line and the clutch/gearbox will have

a shorter life.

If you only use full throttle after its rolling and building the revs up then the

increase will be more linear.

If its just a remap will there be a before and after run on a rolling road?

If yes then will they leave it in place or will they take it off and put it back?

I ask that because there are little tricks then can do to get higher power figures.

I think they can let the car climb onto the roller which reads higher figures?
They do a before and after without taking the car off the dyno...I think. They have good reviews and are very well recommended, so I'm not concerned about them. They also say that they don't target power gains, they target better optimization as safe as possible. And whatever gains come from that, that's it.

So I'm confident they don't push things just to put out good numbers.

And about the clutch/gearbox, I should be ok then.

I don't do much city driving, and when I do, I really have no joy in hard launching a big old boat just to get to the next red light :))

What I care about is the higher gears, more torque on highway and safer overtakes. Not that I don't execute them safely, but the more power, the easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts