Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Big Megger
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My front washer jets on the mondeo mk4 are both just about spraying out water, failed an mot today on it. I have dropped the front bumper tray, and checked the rubber filter which is in the water bottle where pump connects, that seems fine even though i pocked a hole through it by accident trying to remove it from the bottle, i removed a bit of pipe from the connector just before it reaches the first washer, water does come from it but not at super force i.e sprays about 10 inches, i am not sure if that is correct or not, as i don't know the force i should be getting at the connector. I took pipe of one of the pump nozzles, pressure i can feel with finger but as i don't know how much pressure i should get, hard to tell what is correct or not.

Can someone advise please, i can buy another pump etc, but is that a likely cause ?, the rear washer which is connected to same pump washes window, i would think if pressure was issue, it would not get that far ?, are their any non return valves hidden anywhere i should check out ?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
Switch the front/rear pipes over or switch the electrical connections. Does that improve the flow?
(you will need to use the rear screen switch for the front jet but its only temporary to test it)

One pump does both the front and rear screens, just check the pressure on the rear screen first
to make sure that flows properly.

·
Big Megger
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, no difference on switching, I took jets off that are the ones that produce a mist, put some lime scale stuff on them, washed in hot water and put back, seems to have made some difference, probably anough to pass a MOT but still not correct. New jets are £30 each from Ford's :(.

·
Big Megger
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

I thought I would give a update, I have replaced both mister jets with new ford ones, both one way valves near the mister jets, the pump and the straight valve near the pump. Also bottle was cleaned out and bottle filter replaced as it comes with pump. No difference at all has been seen. I ended up breaking the clips on the washer jets trying to remove so that was main reason for changing them. I can only think that either theirs another blocked valve I have not seen or blocked somewhere. The nearest jet to pump gives good spray the one drivers side and furthest away barely reaches windscreen. Out of ideas now :(.

Also note both old and new pump make strange noise in that they start off normal and then suddenly speed up, at the point they speed up, water pressure is more and meets windshield, but by next time use same thing happens which I guess would imply blockage maybe.

Have a good weekend all.

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
Is there a filter just before the pump? Had that clog up on my MK3 which causes the pump to run dry.

I did what most people do and keep pressing it thinking the pipe just needs priming again which killed
the pump.

Removed the little plastic gauze filter which had a jelly like substance clogging it and all good after that.

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
Hi, no difference on switching, I took jets off that are the ones that produce a mist, put some lime scale stuff on them, washed in hot water and put back, seems to have made some difference, probably anough to pass a MOT but still not correct. New jets are £30 each from Ford's :(.
What year is your car? Did it have the mist type jets as standard?
Asking just in case you changed them from the twin jet type to mist (in the past I read that swapping to the mist type wasn't great)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
What year is your car? Did it have the mist type jets as standard?
Asking just in case you changed them from the twin jet type to mist (in the past I read that swapping to the mist type wasn't great)
Swapped mine for a pair of genuine ford mist style ones and they have been fine for 7 years.

Have you checked the T an L pieces in the pipework to see if they're clear?

·
Big Megger
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello All, sorry did not see these messages. The jets were changed with original ford new parts and the mist ones fitted were are per the original spec. I changed the pump also, plus a straight peace about 1 metre from the pump and a couple of non return valves near each jet, tbh the old mister jet connector broke when removing i.e the little bit of plastic that holds it to bonnet, so In the end I had to buy 2 jets. Even after all of this, the right jet barely reaches the windscreen but it was anough to pass it's MOT.

·
Registered
2013 Mk4.5 140PS 2.0 TDCi Zetec BE
42 Posts
I've got the same problem - passenger side jet just about reaches 1/4 of the way up the screen and the driver's side jet barely reaches the screen at all. Rear jet appears to work fine.

The filter between the pump and tank was blocked with blue gunge so I cleaned that out, then I took the system apart and flushed out both nozzles and as much of the tubing as I could with plenty of warm water and (eventually) changed the pump but all this only made small difference. Like the OP though, it was just good enough to pass the MOT last year.

Cut to this year and I'm revisiting the problem again, after it seems to have gotten worse - the drivers' side jet often doesn't even make the windscreen. This time, I found an old length of tubing that allowed me to bypass the tubing between the pump and the first jet and this seems to have solved the problem. This length is only partially accessible beneath some plastic trim under the bonnet and difficult to remove, as it's taped and clipped along it's length to the tubing that supplies the rear jet, so I think I'm going to have to run a new length alongside it as best I can. It's presumably split or partially blocked somewhere along it's length.

One thing I did notice is an unusual-looking connector a short distance up the tubing from the pump - it's not a straight-through connector so could be some kind of additional non-return valve that might be partially blocked ? Unfortunately it's too awkward to access to remove it, at least not without removing the headlight/bumper etc which I'm trying to avoid.

So - my next issue is determining which size tubing to use. The OEM Ford stuff is printed as 3.8mm x 8 (internal diameter x external diameter presumably) and it looks like non-Ford alternatives are supplied in 1/8" (3.2mm) and 3/16" (4.8mm) sizes so I'll probably take down the old pump and maybe a connector to see which fits best.

Incidentally - one of the other reasons why I replaced my windscreen wash pump is that, during my trouble-shooting, I noticed moisture inside the pump's electrical connection so I decided to replace it after seeing the horror stories about water tracking up the electrical cable and onto the BCM - hopefully I caught the problem in time, as I haven't had any electrical problems yet !

·
Registered
2013 Mondeo Titanium X Sport Ecoboost
390 Posts
When I was having similar problems with my previous Mondeo, I did buy some new washer hose as I was suspecting a blockage, however, when I removed the pump from the reservoir, I discovered that the filter was clogged with sludge and the whole bottom of the washer bottle was full of it. Washed it all out, cleaned the filter and put it all back together and all was well.

·
Registered
2013 Mk4.5 140PS 2.0 TDCi Zetec BE
42 Posts
When I was having similar problems with my previous Mondeo, I did buy some new washer hose as I was suspecting a blockage, however, when I removed the pump from the reservoir, I discovered that the filter was clogged with sludge and the whole bottom of the washer bottle was full of it. Washed it all out, cleaned the filter and put it all back together and all was well.
Yep - this was my filter, after 9 years without being checked !

Body jewelry Gas Jewellery Circle Electric blue

Cleaning it (and the gunge from the tank) helped the flow but didn't solve my problem totally so I think I've either got a leak or kink in the section of tubing between pump and bonnet or there is an additional, blocked filter somewhere along that length that I can't get to. Either way, I figured replacing that section was probably the quickest way to solve the problem.

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
Same on the MK3, the plastic clip on filter clogged and in the process of topping up the fluid and repeated testing
it killed the pump itself. Pump still span as normal but no fluid at enough pressure to spray out.

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
800 Posts
the best way i have found to avoid that sludge is to not keep topping up the washer bottle, and let it run out once in a while (even if it means carrying spare fluid once you get the 'low washer fluid' warning on the dash). that way theres not the same stale stagnant water in there all teh time and the sludge doesnt build up as fast, if at all. a lesson learned when we first came across the issues in the dealers when the mk1s were still relatively new

1 - 13 of 13 Posts