Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange one this, hopefully someone can help?

I've been towing a caravan with a MK4 Mondeo Titanium X TDCi estate for a few years without a problem.

In August when towing to Cornwall the car would not start after having a rest stop. When pressing the start button all electrics come on but there was just a click like a dead battery.

RAC came out, tested the ignition system (including alternator) and could not find a fault, but found the battery was on its last legs so replaced it.

In early October the same happened again on the return journey home when I got home, I managed to start the car about 40 mins later.

Since then the same has happened twice when driving to and then returning from Wales. On the journey travelling to Wales I was able to start the car after 40 mins. On the return journey when the car wouldn't start I connected a battery charger there was a click that sounded as though it had come from the fuses in the engine compartment and the car then started.

I've since towed a trailer for about 120 miles without issue and the car starts daily when I'm using it for work.

Anyone any ideas whats going on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, RAC replaced with a Varta battery (with a 5 year warranty). Was thinking starter motor but cannot understand why I'm seeming to only get problems when towing...

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,265 Posts
If it tends to work after a 'click' from the fuses/relays then I'd suggest giving the relays a check and just a general look over... next time it happens try removing and refitting relays (1 at a time as to not get them mixed up) and the wires at the starter a wiggle

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check mess with the relays next time it happens and see if it resolves, was thinking the starter relay might be playing up.

I put the battery on charge last night in an attempt to determine how depleted it was. It took 30 mins to go from charging to charged/maintenance.

A little unscientific but was thinking this indicates that the battery is getting a good charge from the car, so maybe the issue is related to the caravan charging system

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Check your wiring system to the caravan. It could be the caravan battery is being charged by the cars battery after you have stopped th eengine. Or the Caravans fridge, that uses a lot of power (8amps) if it is still running when the engine is stopped your car battery will soon run down.

Will your car not start straight away after stopping? Or is it sometime later that it won't start?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caravan is due a service so I'll be getting the wiring/charging circuit checked. We never travel with the fridge running so the only connections would be to the battery, ALKO ATC stability control and lighting. Did wonder if the habitation relay on the caravan might be the fault but I'm not clued in enough to check that out myself.

The car wont start immediately after stopping, it will then start about 40 mins later

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
Do you have a smart charge relay?

Caravan drawing power from the car when the engine is off? Draining the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.