Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dirty old Megger
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey good people,
As the boot space on my Mk4 saloon is waaay too big for my daily needs (probably bigger than that of my dad's Mercedes E320 estate, from the looks of it),
and I end up having to dive deep into it just to extract even a week's worth of shopping from Tesco, Dunnes Stores, _and_ M&S (Yes, all three!),
I've decided I want to make the boot a little smaller(!), so I don't run the risk of locking myself in the boot.

At first glance, this may sound preposterous, but it's actually part of a bigger master plan. I would like to:
1) make an artificial floor, raised above the real boot floor, to make a flat loading into the boot opening, reducing the boot height
2) make a wall behind the boot hinges, to reduce the boot depth
3) split the floor I make, and hinge it just behind the wall, so I can easily access the spare tyre and tools when necessary
4) be able to build a subwoofer box, using the wall as the rear-facing side of it
5) integrate an amplifier rack somewhere into this design, using plexiglass and neon lights if possible, to "show off" the kit
6) Fit some cooling fans for the amplifiers, if need be

I was thinking of using MDF as primary material for this, carpeting it with a suitable type of cloth.

So I have a few questions with regards to this:
1) Has anyone here done similar mods on a Mk4, and got any specific advice in this regard?
2) Has anyone here got the official measurements for the inside boot space, or know where I can get a hold of this?
And if not, don't go out measuring the boot yourself, because if nobody can answer this question, I'm prepared to whip out the measuring tape myself.

I've got the space saver spare tyre, (although I did at some point consider getting a full-sized one).

·
Bigger Megger than before
562 Posts
Hi Costeau

Know what you mean about the boot size. I've almost fallen in myself.

Don't know anything about the mod you're proposing but - piece of advice - stick with the space saver spare. On my 58 plate Zetec I had the same wheel and the boot space was, as you say, enormous. My present 11 plate Mk4.5 TitX has a fullsize 18" steel wheel and this has eaten into the available boot depth quite a bit. With the full size spare wheel, perversely, you might end up with insufficient room for your project. Just a thought.

Not that it will help you much, but you'll get the official Ford dimensions for the Mk4 in the Ford Mondeo Sales Brochure June 2007 edition - available on this same site.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Dirty old Megger
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks colmar.

I'd actually like to increase the height of the boot floor regardless, due to the desire for a flat-loading boot opening,
so maybe with my plans of a split and hinged hard floor, unloading and loading the space saver wheel would be easier than a full size anyway.

Living in Ireland, I encounter a lot of potholes, having had a couple of them resulting in bent alloy or puncture with my previous car,
hence the desire for a full size.

I'll take a gander at the sales brochure you mentioned.
Thanks again.

·
562 Posts
Ok then Costeau

Just for your info. The fullsize spare wheel 'protrudes' from the metal floor pan in the boot area by about 2.5 - 3" (in old money). Ford then fit a preformed foam/rubber tray insert to increase the metal boot floor height, to the level of the spare wheel. The fabric boot floor covering then sits on top and is perfectly flat, side to side, fore and aft.

Why don't you ask at your local Dealership for the foam/rubber tray as fitted to the Mk4.5 with fullsize spare rim and see if that at least gives you a useful starting point.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why don't you ask at your local Dealership for the foam/rubber tray as fitted to the Mk4.5 with fullsize spare rim and see if that at least gives you a useful starting point.
There is a seller on ebay looking £95 for this posted! Im sure costeau could make one for cheaper than that.

Attachments

·
Dirty old Megger
1,417 Posts
I couldn't find the listing, so I might as well start measuring up the boot, but thanks for the tip anyway.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Im using my phone here so cant send you a link, but if you search 2010 FORD MONDEO TITANIUM X SPORT BOOT TRAY POLYSTYRENE you will see that tray. Pity I wasn't in my last job we had all the tools to do what you are looking for.

·
Dirty old Megger
1,417 Posts
Found it! Thanks again, Dee_NI.

No wonder it didn't turn up in my initial searches, as they apparently do not ship this item outside UK,
so no chance of having it sent to ROI.

Even within the UK, postage is 60 Quid. Still cheaper than driving to Dublin or Belfast, taking a ferry over, and driving to Nottingham, though.
However, if a nice road trip from Cork to Nottingham and back on a long weekend is worth the extra diesel and ferry journeys,
there is a small chance that I won't be able to resist temptation.

·
Dirty old Megger
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I managed to get into the boot, but as I was fumbling in my pockets for the measuring tape, some lady came by in a sled, offering me some Turkish Delight… WTF?!

·
562 Posts
Eh Costeau - I don't think you saw Seven of Nine in the Chronicles of Narnia - you would have remembered !!

You been watching the wrong film Mate

·
Dirty old Megger
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"The Lion, the Witch, and the Mondeo"?
Next time, I'll remember to bring me own Turkish Delight.

·
Dirty old Megger
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started cutting my own MDF plates now. I might've changed my mind to keeping the space saver spare.

A description of what I've made so far:
1) A bottom MDF panel that lies on the boot floor, and fits snuggly between the wheel arches.
I made a cutout to allow access to the spare, and might make a drawer that fits inside it, for storing car care essentials.
The rest of this will be used for amp rack, with ventilation ducts.

2) Another MDF panel that slides in above the first one, resting on the raised humps at the foot of the wheel arches.
This will also be the foot of the subwoofer box, if everything goes to plan here.

3) A smaler MDF plate that fits sideways next to the wheel arch.
This, and an identical one, will become the side panels of the speakers, and will fit on top of panel 2,
allowing some space for cubbyholes on the outsides.
This item is still a bit "work in progress"

I'll post some photos, once I can get some time to figure out that camera thingy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts