Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hope this is in the right place. I've got a mondeo 2001 tddi - Long story short - I broke down, the car cut out, no fuel, lift pump wasn't running. Cut the wires, Put 12v directly to the lift pump and got it going, bled the pipes and car started fine. Drove it for an hour or so, stopping and starting all the while running the lift pump from the cigarette lighter, (although it seemed to run fine without the pump running).

Parked up for a few hours, next time I started the car, it started fine but cut out after 8 seconds. Started again, cut out after 8 seconds again. No matter what revs it's doing or weather I'm driving or not. 8 seconds and it cuts out seemingly electrically. No warning lights, starts straight away again so no air in the system or fuel problems. The only thing wrong is the lift pump is disconnected.

Could this be an Ecu problem. Is it recognising there is no lift pump? If so why did I drive it for an hour previously? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
The TDDI pump needs the lift pump to supply some pressure to the fuel lines and

filter.

No pressure and your pump is working overtime trying to suck that fuel through.

Was it warm when you drove it previously? The colder weather could be putting more

demand on the fuelling.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I can't recall the exact details but I think there's some sort of feed from the fuel cut-off near the passenger door a pillar which confirms pump is active or something like that....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply. Nope, started it from cold and left it tick over while i packed up my tools then drove it about. Now It cuts out after 8 seconds religiously weather the lift pump is running or not. Is there a fuel Ecu on these that could "sense" if the lift pump is connected or not? I imagine not but I'm grasping at straws here.

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Its a safety cutoff switch. In the event of an accident or heavy shock the switch trips

out and cuts power to the pump.

Prevents the pump emptying the tank onto the road in the event of a crash. Sometimes

heavy braking or a pothole can trigger it.

But if you bypassed the pumps power then that wont be the issue.

Pop the feed to the fuel filter off and have a large container to catch the fuel. See if it cuts

out after running for a few seconds.

When was the fuel filter changed last?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like you said, it can't be the pump as the engine cuts out weather or not the pump is running. Exactly 8 seconds after I start it. The precision and timing makes me think it's some kind of electronic safety cut out. Would a diagnostic test help on these age models?
Fuel filter was changed a few weeks ago when I serviced the car. That's fine unfortunatly.

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Yes an F-super will still read any fault codes if there are any present.

Cheap handheld readers wont work though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.