Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced a front bumper on a Mondeo, Mark 1, Ghia X - an awkward job, I could only manage 2 of the 4 fixing bolts! The car was on ramps, and unfortunately the bottom skirt caught the ramps when reversing, and has burst the fixing material on the driver's side, (looking at it I didn't think that I would be able to fit this afterwards), and I have had this car on ramps before. This fixing material is yellow and I think it's called Styrofoam, but can a repair be made by gluing it back on?, and what "glue" is suitable?

The new bumper finish is unmarked, and I am reluctant to buy another replacement.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Zetec 2.0
128 Posts
You could use an expanding foam (polyurethane) to fill the voids. It's sold in a spray can and it's polystyrene safe. First apply a little amount to test that it bonds ok and doesn't dissolve/melt it. Also, once dry, it can be cut or sanded.
--
Presumably the aircon pipes are preventing fixment of the nuts that secure the driver's side of the bumper. Best to get them done otherwise the bumper will flex. See this post for a novel way of fitting them.
Mondeo mk1 HID lighting upgrade

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Presumably the aircon pipes are preventing fixment of the nuts that secure the driver's side of the bumper. Best to get them done otherwise the bumper will flex. See this post for a novel way of fitting them.

Mondeo mk1 HID lighting upgrade

The fixings for the horizontal aircon pipe behind the bumper are easily removed, and then this pipe with hoses is dropped down, and tied up to enable access to the bumper fixing bolts. These 2 fixings are short set screws, but the heads are for 8mm sockets and the nuts are for 10mm!. What is preventing access to the topmost 2 nuts, is that there is plastic ducting for the loom wiring at both positions, I am reluctant to disturb this.

Thanks for info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could use an expanding foam (polyurethane) to fill the voids. It's sold in a spray can and it's polystyrene safe. First apply a little amount to test that it bonds ok and doesn't dissolve/melt it. Also, once dry, it can be cut or sanded.
Can you give a trade name for a suitable spray can please, there's a lot of them about!

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts