Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slacky
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to TalkFord I quickly learned that the way to get into the back of the lights was to remove the grille and remove the light cluster via the two metal pins (re-fitting these in the dark was a challenge).

However the reason I was re-fitting in the dark is because after an hour I gave up, not because I had replaced the bulb.

Getting the cover off was easy; but looking in to the small hole from the back you can see what looks like a small white plastic helicopter - with 3 blades at 120' to each other, the bottom one seemingly secured by a tiny black plastic boss. Which looks like part of the surround/mounting.

In the middle (the hub of the helicopter) is what looks like a separate, very small rectangular piece of white plastic, just big enough to house two electrical connections, a single red one and a double black one.

I have tried pliers, screwdrivers, fingers (no use of course) - but anxious not to break the electrical connections I have only managed to twist "the helicopter" anticlockwise. But stopped because the twin black connection went very taught.

Anyway. It's still in there! Am I being a pussy; or do these things jam up? Is it a pull, or a twist and pull? Do you have to just apply force; or is the danger of snapping a wire or solder too real?

Some specific insights hugely appreciated...

Slacky

·
MEG Corporal
1,152 Posts
have you got any pics
when i changed my side lights i just turned the little bit in the corner and pulled the cover off then used pliers to pull the bulb out

this it the bit i twisted then pulled its below the indercator

Attachments

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hi

Bulb holder is normal round with wires in centre about 10 to 12mm diameter.

There are flats on each side of the bulb holder and would suggest gripping these with a pointed nose pliers, then twist bulb holder slightly as you pull free of housing.

Holder can stick slightly to housing as it has probably been in situ for a few years.

Peter

Reactions: Slacky

·
Slacky
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you ST,

That totally makes sense. Because they have never gone since new in 2003 this would explain. The fins are so stiff you can only just rotate a few mm's (with pliers).

Also - when trying something first time - best to ask before applying brute force.

Force is what I will apply.

Slacky

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
the fins DO NOT MOVE

or at least they should not

the only bit that should move is the little round ( with 2 flattened-ish sides inline with the wires ) cap that houses the bulb & this can & does get stuck in tight over time as its inplace for years at a time often & also suffers extended amounts of time at high temps then cools etc due to the light being in use so close to it.

normally though a little leverage with the pushrods you removed to disconnect the headlights from the car are normally enough to break them loose but the wiring can be a little on the tight side but there should be enough to let you remove the bulb & holder once its free from the helicopter blades looking part - you may even find pulling on the wires gently towards the light fitting may pull a little more slack wire from inside the headlight unit but it is normally a pretty tight fit as they only supply enought wire to let you change the bulb, they dont leave enough spare to let you do it in comfort
)

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
piccies to better help

what ur left with after bulb holder is removed.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

the bit ur removing

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part Wire

( please ignore the fact that piccy shows the lamp holder inside the main headlight opening, i have modified sidelights which meant the need to move the holder inside the light to create room for the new LED sidelight unit as otherwise it would not be able to fit the device, power supply for said device & the oem plug in the normal sidelight position etc )

Attachments

·
Slacky
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect, thank you! I couldn't work out if it was the core bit or the helicopter that came out. On mine (2003 Mk3) the central piece with the wires attached is rectangular. And just didn't seem to me to be big enough to have a bulb on the other side. But it's a wedge, of course!!! Duh!

What do you think of the LED sidelights you invested in? Would you recommend?

Also, can't resist asking, is that your dog? As my pic is mine (Shepard/Border).

Slacky

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
i love my cirrent LED sidelights

custom made by 4titx ( a member on here )

they are dual power, they run @ around 2.8W during the day & drop down to 0.3W when the engine is stopped, dipped beams come on ( & additionally been modified so each one dims down when the corresponding indicator is used so they dont obscure the indicator flash around dusk time )

Sidelight / Low Power mode on the road light

Daytime Running / Full Power mode on the road light

At a distance ( full power )

more close up ( full power - camera dialled itself well back so not as good as it looks in the flesh )

he has also done pretty much a complete overhaul of the rest of my motas bulbs too & the results are outstanding

just to get the idea, best seen in the flesh as the camera has a hard time getting a true picture of them

they may cost more to buy than most bulbs you see on ebay but the results defo make them a worthy investment as they walk all over ebay cheapies & most of the higher cost ebay stuff too in similar price ranges etc

as for the woofer, then yep, the piccy is of my little hell hound
( although its nearly a year old is that piccy now, she has got more evil looking since then )

got her as a German Shephard x Akita Cross as pup but due to fur colourings & ear positions ( brindle coloured & ears more upright ontop compared with german shep ) i am assuming that the German part is actually Dutch as she resembles a dutch shephard much better ( but she defo has the Akita temper when she gets defensive about somat & i cannot wear her out at all, 20+ miles walk with her running alot in that 20 miles i walked & she still just wants to play - i want to callapse in a heap but she just chases our border collie about like a loon till he gives up
also her preydrive is somat to behold when offlead ( never caught owt yet but thats not for the lack of trying on her part, its a pain in the arm when she sets off after somat you have not spotted when on her lead though
)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.