Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so hopefully someone on here can help me out with a problem that's left me tearing my hair out!

I drive a 2007 Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 tdi estate. The nearside indicator has stopped working completely, i.e. front, rear and side repeater. The green light on the speedo cluster also doesn't light up.

I've tried the obvious:-

Swapped the fuses under the bonnet and in the glovebox fusebox. I've swapped them completely as I'm aware that these micro fuses are notorious for looking ok but being faulty!

I've eliminated the bulbs, bulbholders etc as I can run a live to the front bulb and all 3 light up although obviously they don't flash using this test.

I'm guessing its not the indicator stalk because the near side doesn't work when the hazards are switched on? Again with the hazards on there is no flashing green light in the speedo binnacle showing on the nearside.

I've run the diagnostics trick for the GEM box by holding the rear heater button down and then testing the indicators. When I do this input test I'm still getting exactly the same result in that no indicators at all on the nearside and no indicator green light flashing on the dashboard display.

I'm confused at this point? Does this mean that there is a fault in the GEM box or does it mean there is no power getting to the box when the left indicator is selected?

I'm at that point now where my brain feels pickled so would appreciate any input or advice as to what to try next please!!! :)

Many thanks

Chris

·
Go On.....I'm All Ears...
1,951 Posts
Indicator relay would be my next thing to check, not sure where it is located and can't check very easy at the moment as I am doing this post on a phone!

Scrub that, it appears that the indicators are controlled via the gem only but there seems to be 4 fuses that may have to be good for it to work.

F
Paul m.

·
Go On.....I'm All Ears...
1,951 Posts
my next step would be to change the GEM ( about £15 on Fleabay unless you have a local breakers) as there can't be much else involved it the system that you haven't accounted for,

not sure but i think you need same model number as yours to be certain it works as different numbers have different features.

paul m.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
My car doesn't have a battery in at present, but does gem input test detect you have operated rhs but not lhs or neither?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. For future reference it was the GEM box that was the problem. If anyone has a similar issue you do need to make sure the numbers on the box match up with your old one. I did try one first (from a friend) but it had different numbers and I lost the indicators completely.

When I put the correct box on the indicators worked fine straight away. The only problem I have now is that I've lost the wipers completely.

Does anyone know if these are also controlled in any way from the GEM box and I've just had a bad thought that maybe the replacement box had a fault but with the wipers if that was the case?

Any advice greatly appreciated please :)

Cheers

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.