Ford Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
Green/Black on the left unit and Green/Orange on the right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Thought I should post this here, since I had to figure out all the color-codes for my Mondeo MK3.

Just mounted a new 13pin socket to my Mondeo MK3 to replace a broken one, and the colors where completely different. The socket and wiring was done/delivered by Ford, so I don't know why the colors don't match ISO.

Here are a diagram with the color codes:

mondeo_trailer_socket_wiring.png

Does it have a dedicated plug in loom or scotchloks or other method of joining the wires on the NS panel?

attachicon.gif
13pin.jpg

Companies link here... http://www.towbex.net/cdata/3017/docs/610740_1.pdf

I have no idea who they are so no connection. I just included their name as it is their
diagram.
Thought that was fair.

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
The dealers generally farm out towbar fitment. Ford badged towbars will actually be another

brand Brink, Westfalia, Witter etc.

·
Professional Numpty
253 Posts
just wanted to say thanks to the OP and all who contributed did my towbar today all soldered in working spot on first time and a damn sight easier than my insignia was and i had the proper plug and play box from vauxhall!

anyway, thanks chaps!

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
Vent in the nearside, Hole in the floor, Hole in the wheel well also.

Route it where ever you like, Whats easiest for you and how long is your cable.

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
Mine are through the side vents, One each side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum, I hope I'm posting this in the right place??

I have recently bought a second hand tow bar, checked all the wiring on the socket for colours and continuity, they are all fine. I have tapped in to the loom on the near side of the boot and spliced and soldered the wires as per the pinned article at the top of this thread. When I connect a socket, be it a trailer board or an actual trailer, my near side rear side light comes on and stays on, also the sidelight dashboard light comes on, albeit not as bright as if I actually switch the sidelights on properly. All of the other lights come on as desired but even when I switch the car off and take the keys out, the near side light stays on. Has anyone come across this before? has anyone any ideas??

Cheers

Dan

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
You wired something up wrong or shorted a pair of wires out.

What have you wired to what?

Did your towbar come with the chassis spacer tubes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It didn't come with the spacer tubes but I have put some steel hollow tubing through the chassis for the towbar arms to tighten on to, cut to the correct length. I have followed the first posts wiring to the letter other than the Earth. I wired up the earth wire from the towbar to the black wire in the car within loom, using a multimeter this (slightly thicker) black wire was found to be the earth. I can't see why that would cause the problems?

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
Check the socket to see if someone wired it backwards. Some think of the numbers looking

from the front rather than the back. So the wires are opposite where they should be.

Where did you tap into the loom for the offside brake light and indicator?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got to take the socket off tomorrow so i'll have a look then, for the o/s brake and indicator I tapped into the the loom in the same place as the rest (the n/s of the boot behind the plastic panel) using the blue with red tracer for the indicator and the red for the stop light. (I think) I have wired as per the original post (below) with the exception of the earth, for the earth I spliced the earth from the trailer into the black wire in the loom after testing it.

Fitted & wired a tow-bar to my Mk3 last week.
While I still have it fresh in my mind I thought I'd post the wiring colours for connecting into the cars loom.
Access is behind the LH boot trim, simply un-bind the loom & scotch-lock in. There's no need for a smart 7-way by-pass relay on a Mk3 Mondeo.

Pin1 Yellow(LH Signal) to Blue on car.
Pin2 Blue(Fog) to Green w/Yellow tracer on car.
Pin3 White(Earth) to suitable Earth point.
Pin4 Green(RH Signal) to Blue w/Red tracer on car.
Pin5 Brown(RH Tail) to Orange on car.
Pin6 Red(Stop Light) to Green w/Red tracer on car.
Pin7 Black(LH Tail) to Orange w/White trace on car.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
if you dismantle the plug and or socket you will find some numbers next to each screw terminal, it is worth checking against this diagram that the colours are matched to the correct numbers on the plug/socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just fitted a tow bar to my MK3 and would like to know where to find the dedicated wiring socket, as I plan to tap into that or make my own plug, as I prefer to use solder joints and heat shrink rather than scotch locks, can anyone help??

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.