Ford Automobiles Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
ST220 is not type approved for towing. Rather strange because you would think maybe

more will have sold if they had? (Maybe)?

All the wiring is on the N/S. You wont need to add in an additional plug. just splice in and solder your extra wires in.

Had no issues with scotchloks over the years, but after trying to diagnose a dodgy connection where they were used then i can see peoples hatred of them.

The connection was just enough to pass a small current to light an LED. But not enough to power a proper bulb.

·
Click4 - What will you Click4 today?
1,481 Posts
Focus st and RS are same.

It's not that vehicle is not physically capable it's because ford just never did the relevant testing to type approve them for towing.

But you can't just stick a towbar on a non type approved vehicle, because if you have an accident will find your insurance void as usually there's no towing figures written on vin sticker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
Yeah the holes in the chassis are still there, i do wonder if thats going to be a part

of future MOTs though?

Not sure of the ST220 has the same stickers with the same gross train weight or not?

·
Click4 - What will you Click4 today?
1,481 Posts
No idea lol

But without type approval it's a risk up to individual.

You can but have 1 accident while towing and you have no insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can solve a puzzle for me. I'm looking at caravan electrics and would like to know what fuse 92 listed as fog light cut out (haynes manual) actually does. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
It disables the rear fog lights when towing so you do not get a bright red

glare shining off whatever your towing which may limit rear visibility.

·
2 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. Do you know how it knows when it is towing?

The other thing I could use some advice on is how to disable the parking sensors whilst towing, if it comes down to putting a manual switch in to disable the sensor or is there a more elegant solution?

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
The dedicated wiring loom will detect the additional resistance from the trailer bulbs,

the cars ECU will then disable the reverse sensors and the cars rear fog lights and

possibly even the reversing lights.

It usually requires a trip to a dealer unless the towbar fitter has the equipment to

program it.

There have been issues with some dealers not knowing what they were doing though

and I remember one member having 3 trips to the dealer before it worked properly.

If towing a caravan and you want to charge the leisure battery and run the fridge check

thats included, often its extra.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all, im hoping you can help me.
Im wiring a standard 7 pin towbar in my mums mk3 estate and all is ok apart from i can not seem to be able to access the RH tail light and indicator from the LH side. My cable isn't long enough to reach that side of the car either and i cant find the correct wires on the LH side.

Tia

·
Super Moderator
30,021 Posts
The wires run across the car from the passenger side, have you removed the

plastic trim that runs across the car where the locking plate is?

Wires are there.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.