Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm aware of the earlier MK4s having an issue with the rack seals breaking up and blocking the reservoir filter and straining the pump.

I have power steering problems on my '10 plate. Inspected rack by taking off inner tie rod boot, no leaks anywhere and I'm not losing any PAS fluid.

It works but it's heavy at low speeds and a bit noisy when turning the wheel, if I hold revs at 3000rpm while turning in neutral the steering is much lighter, like effortless, this leads me to believe the pump itself is on the way out, maybe the vanes inside not being able to produce the high pressure anymore.

Recently I've flushed out the old fluid with plenty of new stuff to manufacture specs and gave it plenty time to bleed on separate occasions. Pump is still a bit noisy and steering still heavy at low speeds.

My question is would I be okay changing the pump and the reservoir or does anyone think the rack may be at fault?

It's a 2.0Tdci with 205,000km on the clock.

·
Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
641 Posts
Sounds like it's the pump. When the pump in my mk4 failed it behaved in a similar manner but was completely random as to when the steering would get heavy. The pressure relief valve was sticking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give it a go changing the pump and reservoir along with it so, will have to source a pump with the pulley attached because I don't have the pulley puller tool. Looks like an easy enough job as the pump is at the top and front of the engine, I've heard the teflon seal on the high pressure union can be a pain to get on past the threads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done some more research and it seems the MK4 Diesel Mondeo doesn't use that teflon seal? All I can seem to find is a green o-ring that goes on the pipe itself where it connects into the PAS pump, and that pipe is tightened down by a small bracket and a bolt that goes into the pump right underneath, can anyone clear this up for me?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts