Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new on this group.
So I have an mondeo mk4 2008 103kw and I want to make an break upgrade. I've changed all pipes with hell performance and now I'm looking for some brake calipers with minimum 2 pistons. If someone has made this change maybe can help me. I've heard some brake calipers from volvo xc60 can fit on mondeo mk4. Thanks

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
No idean on 2 piston calipers...you'll need to check for wheel spoke clearance. I have fitted S-Max 2.5T calipers and discs (316mm) and the wheel spokes are close to the caliper already.

It's popssible to fit larger 336mm discs and calipers from the Volvo's but they are still single piston I believe (from XC90 or V70 I think). I looked in to it but they are too big possibly for spare wheel (16") to fit over...and the dics are really heavy.

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
Cost cutting eh, I had an austin Metro with a 1300cc engine and that had 4 pot calipers as standard..

Question is why do you want 4 pot calipers?

If the pads are almost square in shape then they may not offer any advantage. With longer pads then it
can spread the load better. BUT... always a but there maybe a lot of comments on how they work with
ABS systems and which is better.

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
800 Posts
best brake upgrades i found were OEM/Genuine discs and pads they made a HELL of a difference in pedal feel and initial bite in my mk4 compared to 'el cheapo' ones that had been fitted at some point. the only other brand i would consider for OEM or better stopping power is EBC. had the Green stuff pads in the car i had before the mk4. id heard lots about them but was skeptical. they were every bit as good (pads only i should say) as the OEM manufacturer branded pads BUT without constantly having wheels covered with masses of brake dust. i might even consider getting them in the mk5 when the time comes to replace the pads, possibly even with EBC discs, as an experiment to see how well they go.

as for fitting different calipers, that can cause a heap of other issues in itself. the master cylinder and calipers are size matched. swap out the standard calipers for (lets get silly for a minute just for the example) some 6 pot Brembo calipers and big discs, and you could very easily see your braking power REDUCED, or have LONG pedal travel, as the master cylinder has to move more fluid to fill up the voids in the calipers, to push the pistons out and clamp the pads to the discs. most of these sorts of 'upgrades' either involve different master cylinders OR they have much smaller pistons, spread out to cover longer pads. in most cases the so-called 'big brake kits' are little more than a bigger diameter disc, slightly wider (top to bottom)_ pad, and calipers with similar overall fluid requirements also the floating calipers mst cars have now (unlike Purple's Metro being a fixed caliper, i had a 1.0l for my first car and hated it) rather eliminates the need for multi piston calipers as one piston can clamp more or less as well, with better pedal feel etc than an old school twin piston fixed caliper set-up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts