Ford Automobiles Forum banner
161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Dog's Taxi
422 Posts
I have just fitted skirts to mine and i bonded the jacking point covers in place.

It's a pig that they have broke yours as they are not cheap to buy and then having to paint them to.
That is what i will be doing Martin the pessimist in says they will deny any wrong doing.

What did you use Sikaflex ? thats what i used to bond the skirts in place.
Not sikaflax, but the same stuff i used to bond the kit to the car. As i use a trolly jack i have never removed the covers on any of the cars i have owned.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I have just fitted skirts to mine and i bonded the jacking point covers in place.

It's a pig that they have broke yours as they are not cheap to buy and then having to paint them to.
That is what i will be doing Martin the pessimist in says they will deny any wrong doing.

What did you use Sikaflex ? thats what i used to bond the skirts in place.
Not sikaflax, but the same stuff i used to bond the kit to the car. As i use a trolly jack i have never removed the covers on any of the cars i have owned.
Same here Martin regarding trolley jack and covers.

·
Little Megger
60 Posts
Just had a read through this as I have just bought a 2.5T Titanium X. A lot of what you have done is what I'd like to do to mine. Nice car, but definitely needs a bit more volume, so interesting to see what you've done with the exhaust.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Just had a read through this as I have just bought a 2.5T Titanium X. A lot of what you have done is what I'd like to do to mine. Nice car, but definitely needs a bit more volume, so interesting to see what you've done with the exhaust.
Off the shelf stuff from Scorpion are the only ready made exhaust enhancements available and they not cheap.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Off the shelf stuff from Scorpion are the only ready made exhaust enhancements available and they not cheap.
But they are an easy DIY fit and sound lovely!!

Can really hear the 5 pot warble when "pressing on" shall we say :naughty:

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
All my exhaust work is now complete after having a 3" downpipe made and fitted at Tony Banks,i provided the three new bolts and a fresh thermal gasket which you can get from Ford's.

Some pics here but they are not the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looking good, would be interested to hear your opinion on whether the down pipe has made any noticeable difference to the spool up/ performance .

I'm back to MIJ tomorrow to have my cat back made quieter, which will no doubt involve a baffled, offset back box.

·
Little Megger
60 Posts
All my exhaust work is now complete after having a 3" downpipe made and fitted at Tony Banks,i provided the three new bolts and a fresh thermal gasket which you can get from Ford's.

How much was the custom down pipe? As you said, the Scorpion stuff seems pretty expensive to be honest. It's a difficult balance for me, as I don't want the car to be too loud, but would like to get it sounding a bit nicer.

What size is the standard system? Am I right in thinking that the standard down pipe is fairly restrictive?

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Looking good, would be interested to hear your opinion on whether the down pipe has made any noticeable difference to the spool up/ performance .

I'm back to MIJ tomorrow to have my cat back made quieter, which will no doubt involve a baffled, offset back box.
Car is definately better for the downpipe.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·

How much was the custom down pipe? As you said, the Scorpion stuff seems pretty expensive to be honest. It's a difficult balance for me, as I don't want the car to be too loud, but would like to get it sounding a bit nicer.

What size is the standard system? Am I right in thinking that the standard down pipe is fairly restrictive?
It cost £225 with a lifetime guarantee.

I always thought when i got my car back in 2013,it was too quiet,the exhaust is now just about right,you get a nice burble at idle,a nice growl when you open the throttle full throttle gear changes are fun noise wise,and some pops etc on the overun.

I never get to hear it properly like you would if someone else was driving it,i always know when i hear Focus ST coming along you just cannot mistake that engine sound especially one thats tuned.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

While changing mine I took the opportunity to take some measurements of the stock downpipe and compare it to the Scorpion.

oem - new = difference

cat end (internal)

58.67 - 65.70 = 7.03mm

after flex joint (external)

59.62 - 70.42 = 10.8mm

Turbo end (internal)

68.96 - 71.35 = 2.39mm

Neck (external)

62.34 - 75.91 = 13.57mm

As you can see the OEM is quite a bit smaller at the bend just after the turbo, and around the flex joint.

Gasket cost £12.22
3 Bolts were £17.22
Scorpion pipe £243.20, also with a lifetime warranty.

·
Little Megger
60 Posts
Thanks guys. Interesting to note. Do you have the part numbers for the gasket/bolts? Might speak to the guys who did some exhaust work on my old Megane.

·
Little Megger
60 Posts

Dragging this up again, do you happen to have details of which sports cat you bought?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks guys. Interesting to note. Do you have the part numbers for the gasket/bolts? Might speak to the guys who did some exhaust work on my old Megane.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-C-Max-S-Max-Galaxy-Mondeo-Focus-MK3-MK2-Exhaust-System-Bolt-1473002/272376345704?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Turbocharger-Gasket-1386734/252768094153?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Looks like they've reduced the price since I bought them. Need 1 gasket and 3 bolts, I did have a small issue when 1 of the turbo bolts rounded on me but a bolt extractor got it out in the end.

Reactions: massivewangers

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Bolts = F1473002

Gasket = F1386734

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·

While changing mine I took the opportunity to take some measurements of the stock downpipe and compare it to the Scorpion.

oem - new = difference

cat end (internal)

58.67 - 65.70 = 7.03mm

after flex joint (external)

59.62 - 70.42 = 10.8mm

Turbo end (internal)

68.96 - 71.35 = 2.39mm

Neck (external)

62.34 - 75.91 = 13.57mm

As you can see the OEM is quite a bit smaller at the bend just after the turbo, and around the flex joint.

Gasket cost £12.22
3 Bolts were £17.22
Scorpion pipe £243.20, also with a lifetime warranty.
Did you wonder like i did why Ford designed the OEM manifold the way it did,compared to the aftermarket versions.

These 3 are the Focus RS Mountune MP350 version,Janspeed Stage 1,and the Mondeo OEM.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I've never liked any setup where the turbo is welded to the manifold. I had to assume it was to save costs in some way as from a maintenance/repair view it's a royal pain in the arse.

Wood Line Gas Nickel Rectangle

Attachments

·
Little Megger
60 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Something I will certainly be looking into.

Can we blame Volvo for the exhaust design? Is it carry-over from their use of the engine? Not sure how much the ST/Mondeo engine differs from the 2.5T used in the various Volvo applications.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Today was MOT day,booked it on Monday,decided to take advantage of having the test done earlier than i normally do.

One of the reasons is that on the 20th May the MOT has some changes taking effect,so rather than be one of the first,i thought i would give the new MOT a miss until next year.

Anyway car passed with four advisory's,a chip (tiny) in the windscreen on the passenger side low down near the wipers,each front tyre wearing the inner edge (knew about this) and lastly both rear springs have some corrosion on the bottom,i'll have a look at this and see if it just wants wire brushing and then painting,or i might decide to fit a set of Eibachs.

Attachments

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts
Aircon TSB now completed and its deffo colder.

Jacking point covers are going to be replaced.

161 - 180 of 219 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.