Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyonoe know why Ford lists two sizes (205/55x16, 215/55x16) for the 1.8TDCI? There's over a £30 difference in price per tyre and my supplier refused to fit the smaller one (despite being shown the handbook) because the larger ones were already on.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Did they refuse to fit a single smaller tyre or were you asking for 2/4 smaller tyres?

If they refused to fit a single one I can't say I blame them as it would be an MOT failure (I think it still is anyway) and they probably just wanted to cover themselves. If they refused to fit 2/4 smaller ones then you need a better supplier.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Depends on the wheels fitted. 205's maybe the steel wheels. You cannot fit different

sizes on the same axle.

Poses issues if you get a punture.

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a set. The fitter agreed that they were a suitable size for the wheel but his company regs would not allow change. It might be interesting if someone turned up with obviously oversize tyres on....

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Mk3 Focus had 215 x 55 x 16 tyres, more recently they changed to 205 x 55 x 16 There are a couple of settings for tyre size in the BCM, with a range of possible sizes otherwise the speedo will read incorrectly .

My guess;

the slightly wider tyres are slightly taller and therefore slightly reduce fuel consumption when undergoing official testing

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 1.8 TDCI Mondeo came supplied with 235/45 R17W on 17 inch rims, so definitely more than two different tyre sizes for these

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Holy thread resurrection, Batman

To clarify the original point, the various sizes were on the same 16" wheels.

and to clarify my earlier post

When new, My Mk3 Focus had 215 x 55 x 16 tyres, more recently FORD changed to 205 x 55 x 16

And because I missed this comment

Interesting. How would one go about accessing the tyre size information in the BCM?
Not sure about if it works with the Mondeo MK4 but the FOCCCUS program and an OBD2 device allows you to read and alter settings for the FOCUS MK3. There are other software available such as Elmconfig and ForScan which probably can do the same thing.

On the Focus it's item #70 and possibly other such as item #117
FoCCCus-Central-ECU-Config-Config3.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts