Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I have a 2012 2.0 diesel Mondeo Titanium X estate. with 106K miles.

While driving the car a couple of evenings ago the engine died and the horn started going, with me then stopped outside someone's house with the horn going for about 10 minutes before it finally stopped.

There was no power to the lights, wipers, interior light etc, the hazards being the only thing working.

I got towed home, interesting through the lanes in the dark and rain with no lights and wipers.

Beforehand the dash had warned me of a low battery in the key fob, so i had wondered if the fob had failed, resulting in the immobiliser kicking it, a bit dangerous if it does that while you're driving,

I've replaced the batteries in both fobs i have and they unlock the doors, but the car won't start. Apparently, there is a small click when i push the start button.

The radio is displaying Block 12C, which I've googled to no avail.

I've also left the car connected to the van with leads in case the battery got drained with the horns going, not sure if that was a good idea?

I'll try to check the fuses at the weekend in the daylight.

Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Also it may be relevant, that a couple of minutes before, there was a very bright lightning flash in the distance.

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
When testing the battery it needs to be under load, easy for a battery to read 12.6volts but have the
voltage drop substantially when an electrical load is applied.

Battery/Alternator test...

Do that test, using a meter at the battery or dash diagnostics etc. Just mention how/where you took the voltages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. The battery is about a year old. I’ll check it anyway. I still have the old battery also. Least night I had it connected with leads to a transit which was running for over an hour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. It’s most peculiar. The other day it wouldn’t start and nearly everything was dead. This morning I tried it and it started. Everything is back to normal except there was a buzzer for a minute or two and the horn doesn’t work. Possibly the fuse blew when it was blasting away when the car died. I’m thinking with all the rain and surface water, maybe something get wet and has now dried out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was thinking Alternator which killed the battery while driving, there's a battery backup sounder for the alarm to make sure the alarm goes off even if the battery is flat dead. Which could be why horn went off as part of the alarm system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts